Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 795-0077c

Last week monitor began to display "no signal" message when computer turned on. Until yesterday, turning off computer by holding power button down and then turning computer on again solved the issue. Yesterday that didn't work but switching to different HDMI port did but picture "died" within 5 minutes and "no signal" message returned. Today, I went through HP "virtual chat" and disconnected computer power cord, held power button down 10+ seconds, reattached cord and turned it on. Monitor display worked but again for maybe 5 minutes then display blank with "no signal" message. I have tried a different monitor with same "no signal" message. Also tested both monitors on a laptop with no problems.

Summary - "no signal" message on two different monitors from HP Envy desktop though display has worked briefly once yesterday and once today. Is this a video card issue or maybe recent Windows 10 update problem?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Hayseed700

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please run the System Test and let me know if the monitor losses signal during the Test as well

- Shut down the computer completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Tests, then click Extensive Test.

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggested solution. On the initial boot, I allowed the computer to fully boot and and my Windows account opened. While there, I decided to run a Windows diagnostic. That ran about 15 minutes before the black screen. I turned off both computer and monitor. I immediately turned on the monitor, rebooted the computer and followed your instructions. I attempted to run the "Extensive Test" twice. First time the first 4 test segments passed and the 5th was in progress when the screen went black with the "no signal" message displayed; about 10 minutes of run time. Second time results same as the first except segments five and six were both in progress and the screen did not go black until about 17 minutes run time. During the second attempt I shuffled the mouse back and forth constantly (no clicking, just jiggled it back and forth) so the computer and monitor would detect activity and not "sleep".

With the diagnostic screen telling me there was about 4.5 hours test time remaining in the second attempt, I did not think it worthwhile to make a third effort.

Good news -

1. computer operates properly for a limited time 10 - 20 minutes) so I can access my files, etc before it apparently ceases to send a signal to the monitor.

2. I'm able to access the Diagnostic screens

Bad news -

Activity from computer ceases too quickly for full diagnostic test to be completed.

Any other suggestions or possible causes (and solutions) of/to problem may be based on this behavior?

HP Recommended

@Hayseed700

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Press ‘Win + I’ shortcut keys to open Windows Settings app.

Click on ‘Update & Security’, then go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ section from the left-side menu.

Scroll downwards a bit and click on the ‘Power’ option.

Click on ‘Run the Troubleshooter’. It will start detecting the problems and if it founds, go ahead fixing it.

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the below steps.

On your keyboard, press ‘Windows key + R’ and type ‘Powercfg.cpl’ in it.

Hit the ‘Enter’ key to open power options in the control panel.

From the left-hand side, click on ‘Choose what the power buttons do’.

Then, click on the link ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’.

From the bottom given power button options, uncheck the ‘Turn on fast startup’ option.

Click on ‘Save changes’ button.

If the issue persists, follow the below steps.

Go to the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Control panel’ then hit the ‘Enter’ key.

From the top-right filter, choose ‘Large icons’ and navigate to the ‘Power Options’,

Click and open the ‘Power options’.

Select the power plan according to your requirement and click on ‘Change plan settings’.

Click on ‘Change advanced power settings’.

In the power options windows, click on the button ‘Restore plan defaults’.

Click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ button.

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delayed response but the computer needs to "rest" for a few days between attempted solutions; otherwise I continually get the "No signal" message. So....

You offered 3 separate solutions in your post and I applied all 3. Detailed discussion follows with Summary at the end.

#1 - As soon as I clicked "Run Troubleshooter", results were returned that "no problems found". I immediately went to Solution #2

#2 - I followed the steps as indicated and then used the computer for approximately 80 minutes. That is longer than the screen has been active in quite awhile. I left the computer unattended for approximately a 1.5 hours and the screen was still active. At this point i powered the computer down and then the monitor. About 1.5 hours later, I restarted the computer and monitor and got "no signal" message. I powered both down and powered them up again with same result.  At this point I left both components off until today (4 days).

#3 - I powered up computer and monitor with no problems. I applied the steps for this solution and used the computer for about 1.5 hours. Leaving both powered up, I left them and returned about 20 minutes later to find the screen black and not responsive to any key strokes. Pressing the monitor power button yielded the "no signal" message. I manually powered the computer off and then the monitor. Powered up the computer and turned on the monitor only to get "no signal" message.

Summary:

Solution #1 detected no issues. Solution #2 appears to have allowed communication between the components for an extended period of time (~3.5 hours) but issue returned after the computer was turned off and then back on; Solution #3 appears to have resulted in identical results as displayed prior to attempting any of these solutions.

HP Recommended

@Hayseed700

I recommend you perform a reset on the computer following the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.