Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion a6739de

Last night computer worked fine.  This morning by boot up, it beeps.  2 short and 1 long.  I have dusted /cleaned inside.  I removed each card used an eraser to clean and replaced card carefully.

Computer still beeps.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank You!

Finally got it solved.  Somehow Firefox got compromised but after a refresh...all is good.

Ya done good!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@CAgirl9, welcome to the forum.

Here is a guide to the HP BIOS beep codes.  If you scroll down to the section for Computers released before 2010, you will see that the code you are receiving says: "2 short beeps and 1 long beep (repeats 5 times) - Unable to initialize video or video card required but not installed".

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Yes I found that message too.  But what does it mean?  How can I fix it?

HP Recommended

I believe that your video card has failed.  I suggest removing the card from the computer and connecting the monitor to the VGA port on the back of the computer.  Here is a picture of the Back I/O ports:

Capture VGA.PNG

The VGA port is #3 in the picture.  You may have to use an adapter for it to work if the monitor doesn't have a VGA cable.  If the card has failed the integrated should solve your problem until you can buy a new video card.'

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Hey thanks...I´m sorry but I am  really a computer idiot.  How do I remove the card?  I thought it was intergrated.  I really appreciate you taking the time to help.  The picture helps a lot!

HP Recommended

Hi again

I just looked at the back of the computer.  The VGA port is the one that is currently used to  connect to the monitor...but the monitor remains black.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @CAgirl9.

There are no idiots on this forum, only members who are not necessarily fully computer literate. :Wink:  If you are not comfortable with working on computers, you may want to see if a friend can help you.

Here are the Product Specifications for the computer.  If you look at the section titled "Video graphics" it shows a video card.  The video card has a HDMI, VGA & DVI-I port.  When a vido card is installed the integrated video is not available.  Here is a video that will show you how to remove a video card and replace it:

HP Recommended

Hi again

Well the replacement of the card seems right on the money.  Following the easy/peasy video I was able to remove the old card and put in a new one...yay.

It worked great but my computer had connecting issues to the provider.  It couldn´t "find" the router.  So some things I was able to get and somethings like yahoo and google not.

My daughter tried to help and now I´m back to the black screen of death.  What I neglected to do was uninstall the old graphics card before I installed the new...dammit.

I powered up in safe mode which was great but the computer stalled at "windows update"  I´m turning the whole thing off and letting us both cool down for awhile.

Going to try again tomorrow.

aaaagggrrrrhhh

HP Recommended

It sounds like you on the right track.  Please let me know if you need further help.

HP Recommended

Thank You!

Finally got it solved.  Somehow Firefox got compromised but after a refresh...all is good.

Ya done good!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.