Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion Desktop TG01-1000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

PC is a Pavilion Desktop TG01-1000 i3 10100 8gb ram 

Monitor serial number is [personal info removed] 24"

Radeon 550 with a DVI-D, HDMI and a display port

Its approx. 3 weeks old

PC would not start, light flashed every 5 seconds, removed every connection including GC(graphics card), PC started, but shutdown after 15 seconds.  Reinserted GC changed from DP(Display  port) connection to HDMI PC started as normal?

I need to connect the DP as I need to use the HDMI for a different monitor.

All software and firmware is up to date

With PC off, unplugged and connect display port cable it will not start, light flashes every 5 seconds, change back to HDMI all works

I have no other cable or monitor with a DP connection to eliminate these two items.

What do I do next?

Grateful for any help or advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have purchased another Display Port cable, it works now, so must have been a faulty cable.

Thanks for your time in trying to solve this.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@cannock 

I could not find any info on a monitor using the ID you provided. 

So, I have to ask -- does it have both DP and HDMI input jacks?

And, if so, are you connecting a video cable with DP plugs on both ends? And that connection causes the problem with the PC?

Or, are you using an HDMI-DP adapter to connect the DP cable to and HDMI jack on the monitor?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply:-

I could not find any info on a monitor using the ID you provided.  As Here 

So, I have to ask -- does it have both DP and HDMI input jacks? Yes

And, if so, are you connecting a video cable with DP plugs on both ends? And that connection causes the problem with the PC? -Yes, cable with DP both ends, but the HDMI works fine

Or, are you using an HDMI-DP adapter to connect the DP cable to and HDMI jack on the monitor? No

HP Recommended

@cannock 

Thanks for the responses ...

Unfortunately, I don't have any new HP desktops to test this with, but they are SUPPOSED to auto-detect any vide cable connected to any jack on the PC and the same kind of jack on a monitor.  But sometimes, that does not work.

What MIGHT work is if you got into BIOS/UEFI settings and see if you have an option for setting the video output jack.  If it lists the different jacks and HDMI is selected, and you can delect DP, then do that and shutdown the PC.

Once it is turned off, connect the DP cable and you should get a display now -- presuming the monitor automatically sees the video coming in through the DP jack.

HP Recommended

What MIGHT work is if you got into BIOS/UEFI settings and see if you have an option for setting the video output jack.  If it lists the different jacks and HDMI is selected, and you can delect DP, then do that and shutdown the PC. No there is no setting in the BIOS for this

HP Recommended

@cannock 

Then sorry, do not know why this is not working -- as the DP video jack from the PC should then be live all the time.

HP Recommended

I have purchased another Display Port cable, it works now, so must have been a faulty cable.

Thanks for your time in trying to solve this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.