Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
BN515AV-ABA HPE-180t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HPE 180t is an HP Pavilion desktop.

Want to replace GT 220 video card with a newer card such as GT 730.

Video card manufacturer says newer video cards may not work with older, proprietary HP BIOS

My HPE 180t System BIOS is ver 5.27

Will the GT 730 video card work?

If not, what video card should I buy a to replace the GT 220?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @DaveT2001 – Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I see that you are trying to update the graphic card on your HP Pavilion desktop. I checked the specifications of your desktop as well as the GT 730 card. Ideally, this should support.

Please make sure to update the BIOS after updating the graphic card. Also, check GeForce 700 Series (nvidia.com)  for detailed specifications and requirements for the GT 730 graphic card. Check under “GT 730 DDR3, 64-bit”.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @DaveT2001 – Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I see that you are trying to update the graphic card on your HP Pavilion desktop. I checked the specifications of your desktop as well as the GT 730 card. Ideally, this should support.

Please make sure to update the BIOS after updating the graphic card. Also, check GeForce 700 Series (nvidia.com)  for detailed specifications and requirements for the GT 730 graphic card. Check under “GT 730 DDR3, 64-bit”.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks. I will get GT 730 and let you know back here how it goes - Dave T.

HP Recommended

Hi @DaveT2001,

You are welcome.

I understand that you will get GT 730 later and get back to us.

Let us know the results. I also appreciate your time and patience.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Replaced GT 220 with GT 730, powered up, Windows Update found two NVDIA updates (restart required), and works fine.

Was unable to update System BIOS from 5.27 to 5.29. UAC refuses to run HP BIOS update exe (sp49903.exe) even with least restrictive UAC setting. Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (machine came with Windows 7 Pro).

General Comments:

The GT 220 GPU was running hot to the touch, GPU cooling fan noisy, and it would shut down with various video intensive software to including even Microsoft Solitaire.  Machine is quiet now; new GPU cool to the touch.

Before changing out the GT 220, I did open the case (power off) and cleaned GPU fan and CPU fan/heatsink with compressed air. The CPU heatsink was clogged with dust, so a good idea to check these things periodically. The machine is seven years old and I've occasionally blown out dust from the case and mother board area, but never paid much attention to the CPU heat sink.

Unlike some suggestions found in Google searches, I did not uninstall the old video drivers before replacing the card. Windows update seems to have handled the situatiuon entirely, and the Windows Device Manager shows the new card and driver.

On power up with new card installed, the machine did first come up in low res. Not sure - at that point - if Windows would update the driver, I put in the driver installation disc that came with the card.

Autorun didn't fire, so I double-clicked on autorun.exe. This opened a driver menu in a window. About this time the screen res reset to the higher def that I normally use on this machine. The screen did briefly flash blank a couple of times along the way.

I clicked on the Install Video Drivers menu pick, but after a couple of minutes it came back and said another copy of the install wizard was running. So I waited for something to happen. ALT-Tab showed no other windows open.

The disk activity light was running a lot, so I guessed that "somebody" (either the video menu software or Windows Update) was downloading the appropriate driver.

After 10-15 minutes, nothing seemed to be happening and the video menu was unresponsive. So I closed the Video menu with Task Manager and opened Windows Update & Security. It showed two NVDIA - Display files ready to install, with restart required.

I restarted machine, the drivers installed, and all is well.

Since I did load the driver DVD that came with the card, I can't be certain, but I think that step was unnecessary. Perhaps I could have dropped in the new card, started the machine, run Windows Check for Updates and let Windows handle the whole deal.

In any event, the machine runs fine and is quiet with no noticeble fan noise so far under normal operating conditions (browsing and running MS Office apps; I am not a gamer).

Thanks to DVortex.

HP Recommended

Hello @DaveT2001

Thanks for the update & Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to update the graphic card 🙂

Also, really appreciate your efforts in documenting the process. That will certainly help several other users with similar queries! Do not worry about the BIOS update as long as the graphic card is running smoothly.

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.