Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 23 All-in-One TouchSmart SE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My screen began flickering after a power outage/reboot about 2 weeks ago. It does NOT flicker while in Task Manager or while I was running System Diagnostics (all systems passed)... just while I'm online (very annoying when streaming Netflix). After Googling the problem, I uninstalled one of 3 apps (IDT Audio) known to cause flickering in Windows 10. (I don't have the other 2 apps.) This did NOT resolve the problem. I've had this computer (with Windows 10 installed) for about 4 years. It's been wonderful and problem-free until now. Have not installed any new apps. I don't use it for games. Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@B-Lo
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Does this happen (flickering) only in the web browser?
  • Have you checked with YouTube videos?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 
Bios default:

1. Restart your notebook.
  2. After the computer restarts, press F10 repeatedly until the BIOS menu displays. ...
  3. When the BIOS menu displays, press F9 to restore factory defaults.
  4. Select Yes to confirm.
  5. Press F10 to save changes and exit.

Next, let's perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.
    And, also update 
    BIOS: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The screen flickering only happens in the web browser.

I tried following your Bios default steps, but pressing F10 after restart did nothing. I tried again, pressing F10 before, during and  after restart. And before and after signing in. Again, nothing.

So I Googled "how to display BIOS menu in Windows 10" and followed those instructions: Settings, Recovery, Advanced Startup, Restart Now, Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, UEFI Firmware Settings, Restart. A screen came up that I didn't recognize (I've never done this before and don't even know what BIOS is or what its menu should look like), but when I tried to "press F9 to restore factory defaults" per your instructions, nothing happened. I didn't see any options on the menu for restoring factory defaults, either. So I don't know if I was even at the proper screen, and just exited without changes. 

Prior to my original post, I'd already checked for updates; none were indicated.

I did NOT want to try the steps in the link you provided for instructions on how to update BIOS. It seemed a bit complicated for my non-IT skill level. I'm afraid I'll make a rookie mistake (even with instructions) and mess up my computer's settings or lose my files. 

So I guess I'll have to hire someone who is NOT a rookie to help me. Any recommendations?

Thank you for trying to help me!!!

HP Recommended

@B-Lo

At this stage, I would suggest sending the unit in for physical diagnosis in order to isolate and fix the issue. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

B-Lo, just a thought.  First, I am not a HP Support person.  Press F10 with a Bluetooth(Wireless) keyboard may not work.  Not sure if unit has Bluetooth software loaded to interact with keyboard.  I suggest using a USB keyboard plugged into a USB port.  Then try rebooting and pressing F10.  You should see text type screen with info relevant to your computer.  BIOS is Basic Input Output System.  It is a layer between Windows Operating System and the Physical Machine.  Microsoft Windows issues an instruction.  BIOS converts it to an instruct that its physical hardware can perform.  <RESETTING> to factory default is like resetting your cell.  Or, in other words, return the computer to a running state that the manufacture knows will work assuming you have not added new hardware.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.