Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion p7-1147cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Today I added a new second monitor but when I open the display settings only one monitor is being detected and both monitors display everything identically.  Please advise how to get Windows 10 to detect the second monitor.  This worked in Windows 7.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@BERWE 

If Windows did not "see" the second monitor, it would be black with nothing showing on it.

You probably have your display settings configured to "mirror" -- which shows the same screen on both monitors.  Go back into the Display Settings and change them to "extend" -- which will have two different displays.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

No, I have this setting set to "extend".

Six months agou it worked correctly: I boot my PC and login to windows. If I swithed my second monitor ON, my display settings detect it and worked in "extend" mode.

When I do it the same way now, it doesn't work.  Even if I enter Display Settings and try "mirror" or "extend" mode.

The only way how the second Display Port works is to switch my second monitor on before booting process started. 😞

Unbelievable....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.