Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6005 Pro MicroTower
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi.

I just saw a brilliant post in this forum, where a member of the HP community (Tubbs43 ) asks which are the supported graphic cards for his computer. I found the answer by DavidSMP to be just perfect. I hope someone can help me too.

I'm having the same "problem". I believe my computer isn't that bad, except for the graphics part... I can't seem to play any game because of that.

My computer is a HP 6005 Pro Microtower and later I bought:
- AMD Phenom II X4 B97 Processor
- 16Gb RAM
- Solid State Drive

and the computer is quite fast, it fits all my needs except for the gaming part.

I have an ATI ASUS EAH5450 Series Graphic Card, but this one is quite outdated and I was thinking of buying a better one.

I have seen suggestions on buying an AMD Radeon HD 6570 or Radeon HD 6450 but they're both similar (or worse) than my current graphic card. Is there any other better graphic card for my PC?

Can someone help me?

Thank you very much in advance.

João Moreira

Portugal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I think the HD 6570 is cheaper than the GT 630.

But the GT 630 still has driver support from nVidia, and AMD quit releasing drivers for the HD 6570 more than 4 years ago.

Since you play video games, you may find the up to date nVidia driver support better to have.

You could also go for the slightly more powerful GT 640, since that does not require an additional power connector.

So, look into the 640 and see what the used price difference is between all 3 of them.

As far as going newer video cards than those models, I would say it would be a big gamble on your part.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Both the Radeon HD 6450 and HD 6570 are better than what you have in there now -- especially the HD 6570.

You could go as new as one of the Nvidia GT 6xx cards that will work with the 320W power supply your PC has, such as the GT 630.

Cards beyond that would require a UEFI BIOS, which your PC doesn't have.

You'd have to find a used but tested and working card on eBay, since I doubt you can find one new anymore.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

I compared Radeon HD 6570 and NVidia GT 630 on some sites and they seem similar. One can be slightly better than the other in some aspects, and vice-versa. So... which one of these 2 would you advise?

And, in conclusion, is this the best I can go? No better compatible video cards from this point on?

Thank you again.

JM

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I think the HD 6570 is cheaper than the GT 630.

But the GT 630 still has driver support from nVidia, and AMD quit releasing drivers for the HD 6570 more than 4 years ago.

Since you play video games, you may find the up to date nVidia driver support better to have.

You could also go for the slightly more powerful GT 640, since that does not require an additional power connector.

So, look into the 640 and see what the used price difference is between all 3 of them.

As far as going newer video cards than those models, I would say it would be a big gamble on your part.

HP Recommended

Sorry to bother you again but, meanwhile, I've seen this thread, where people talk about a graphic update for the 6005 Pro MT:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/possible-graphics-upgrade.2139956/

Can you please confirm if the given answer is correct/incorrect:

"The gtx 750 ti (60 watt tdp) uses five more watts than the normal gtx 750 (55 watt tdp). There are tons of people (including me) that have used the gtx 750 ti on 220/250/300 watt psus. You will be fine.

The gtx 750 ti plays modern games at med/high settings and maxes out almost anything that is 2+ years old. It will run nicely paired with your phenom II. The one you selected is from a great brand, so I highly recommend it."

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I would not be able to confirm that. 

Nor do I see any of the reviewers who bought the card mention it worked in the 6005 Pro.

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-gtx-750-superclocked-01g-p4-2753-kr/p/N82E16814487026?Item=N82E1...

When I buy a new video card, or memory, I always state the model PC I installed it in, so it helps others.

Nor do I see any comments on that Tom's hardware discussion you posted where someone confirmed the GT 750 worked in the 6005 Pro.

All I saw was the warning from that person who said the same thing I did during the discussion.

'It's entirely possible to add a discrete card that doesn't require a 6 pin power cable for aux power. Unfortunately with HP, you always take a chance that the MB BIOS will not recognize the card.'

'This forum is full of HP PC owners, half of which seem to have problems getting a modern card like the new Maxwell-equipped GTX 750/750 Ti to work on their machines.'

It would be good if it worked because it is a newer/better card, uses less power, and doesn't require any supplemental power connectors.

I cannot find any posts on the HP forum where someone successfully installed any nvidia GT 7xx card in a 6005 Pro.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.