Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP All in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Yesterday our touch screen stopped working. I checked the device manager and the HID-touch screen compliant option is no longer in the Human Interface Devices.

I uninstalled an update that occurred the day prior to see if that fixed the problem but it didn't.

I've looked up installing a new driver but my security has blocked a few files so i'm skeptical to proceed just in case.

I'm at a loss of what to do now.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Mine did that also.  In device manager selected "view..Show hidden devices" and the driver is there, just not running.  My ELAN EzTouchFilter didn't start; error is:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)
A main item was detected outside of a top level collection.

HP Spectre 360 13-w0xx

Checked in BIOS: Touchscreen works fine.  I suspect a(nother) Windows update boo-boo.  Also strangely: I posted this issue a couple of days ago but it's disappeared from the forum.  

HP Recommended

Hi Pscarbor,

Thanks, it is there!!

However, I cannot enable it.

Do you know how I can overcome this?

In Properties, it says the following:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

I can't see any cords unplugged so i'm unsure where to start with this.

HP Recommended

Do you have any other drivers that aren't working?  I think the 'connection' it's referring to is probably a driver, not a physical connection.

Try this: Turn it off, then back on and get into BIOS (pressing 'esc' over and over while the computer boots will usually get you to a menu that allows you to get into the BIOS screen).  Try the touchscreen there: There's a touchscreen troubleshooter which is fairly Mickey Mouse; it asks you to touch the screen and see if things are working correctly.  But you can see if it works.

If the touchscreen works in the BIOS screen you have a hardware issue (unlikely).  If it works on BIOS but not in Windows it's a driver.  Probably another update that wasn't tested thoroughly.  Hopefully HP will have a fix for it soon.

HP Recommended

Yes I am having this same issue. As of other day. My computer must of updated and since then it does not work and the

HID-compliant touch screen is not there in device manager i tryed doing show hidden devices. I still don't see it unless its somewhere else. All my drivers say they are up to date. So HP.com doesn't have this driver on there website to re download. I see this happening quite often with Windows 10. Can someone please help me fix it? 

My mothers computer which is the same exact one i bought for her. Her's is fine. But she doesn't do updates. Mine does them automatically after a while . I guess i have to shut that off  😞 

i am not happy lol 

i am thinking which is going to suck transferring all my photos and documents over to a hard drive and resetting my computer so its all clean. I doubt that will work ..

so in the BIOS screen i just do ESC ESC ESC until bios screen pops up and try touching the screen to see if i can press on anything in menu??????????? 

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Yeah isn't it strange that it's just happened after updates.

That's weird yours isn't even showing up.

I'd definitely recommend trying the BIOS screen yeah.

I'm going to do that also, but if there's an issue I still don't know how to fix it.

Really hope that the next update fixes it.

I uninstalled all updates that happened from that day and it still didn't change anything.

So I've reinstalled them again haha

UHHH!! Yeah I don't think you should transfer all your stuff just yet. That's hard work.

Maybe try the BIOS screen first.

I'm nervous to do it but just going to try and hope something magical happens haha

Good Luck! 

HP Recommended

Hi Pscarbour,

There are two other USB Input Devices that are hidden plus HID-compliant vendor-defined device.

I will try the BIOS screen and hope that I get a clearer answer.

Thanks so much for your advice 🙂

HP Recommended

okay so i got to the BIOS screen. what do i do there again?  i tryed testing all components and they all passed i also tryed using touchscreen in menu options. did not work 😞 

this stinks lol 

HP Recommended

Pretty much: esc...esc...esc and you get a menu that allows you to enter bios.  On mine the touchscreen worked immediately, even in the menu.

HP Recommended

I am not a HP tech guru - but my guess is, you have a hardware issue.  Sorry dude, looks like your touch screen is out for the duration.  Suggest you do an image backup - then contact HP directly, if you're in warranty they will probably replace it.  If not, oh well, you probably need a new one anyway.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.