Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Touchsmart 7320 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a used HP Touchsmart PC, when I bought it it was running Windows 10 and the touchscreen was functioning properly, but when I went to put in my old hard drive from my last computer I no longer could use the touchscreen function, I tried updating the drivers, enabling the various things I could enable but I couldn't get it to work. 

What can I do to get the touch function working again?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Sterling_ODea

Is the touchscreen functioning on the BIOS page?

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers on the PC to the latest version and check if it helps.

You can update drivers on the PC using the HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant.

Also, Try few steps recommended below.

The Windows troubleshooting tool could be the quick and easy fix to any problem with your touchscreen.

Do a system search for troubleshooting and select the relevant result. In the new window, click View all from the left-hand menu. From the list that appears, click Hardware and Devices.

Click Next and run the wizard through. The tool will automatically detect issues and then repair them. However, it’s by no means comprehensive and you may need to carry on reading.

In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Expand the Human Interface Devices heading.
The touchscreen device is labelled HID-compliant touch screen, or similar. Right-click the touchscreen device.
If the option to enable the device is included in the menu, click Enable.

Reinstall the original touchscreen device driver that came installed on your computer using the following steps:
In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Expand the Human Interface Devices heading.
The touchscreen device is labelled HID-compliant touch screen, or similar. Right-click the touchscreen device and select Uninstall.
Confirm the uninstallation.
Restart the computer to reinstall the touchscreen driver.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Go into Device Manager - Select Universal Serial Bus Controllers - Select Generic USB Hub Properties -(Under POWER tab: the one that  has "HID-compliant Device 100mA" attached) Power Management - UNCHECK-"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

If you have problems or not sure if it the correct HID-compliant Device, just look under the Driver Details and hit the drop down box to scroll through all those different labels until it clearly says "Touchscreen" under "Bus Reported Device Description"

Refer this article to further troubleshoot touchscreen issues with your PC. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps, try running a touchscreen diagnostics test on the PC and check if the hardware on the PC is functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

it shows no driver, and the latest driver I could find is for windows 8, so my question is how was the touch screen working originally

HP Recommended

@Sterling_ODea
Thank you for posting back.

To get the answer to this question, It might have worked previously with the correct touchscreen drivers as the computer was running on Windows 8 operating system. If you've installed a new Hard Drive, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Let's perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.