Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgrade the OS of HP Z820 workstation to Windows 10 64-bit.  The graphics card is nVidia Quadro 6000.

So, I install the latest win10 gfx driver from nvidia (354.56, 364.72, etc)

Every thing are working fine, except one problem that is bordering/annoying.

That is when during video playback, the video is not fluid if I open facebook on a browser.  The video will still play, but every 3 to 4 sec, the video will jerk for 0.x sec, then continue, then jerk again, continue.

The jerkiness will disappear, if I make the media player application the active windows.  

But if I move my mouse to the browser or any other app and make them active, the video in the media play windows will jerk again.

If I close the browser or the Facebook tab, the jerkiness will stop as well.

I have tried upgrade the Gfx driver to the latest win10 gfx driver from nvidia, does not help.

I have tried different media player, VLC, Windows media player, Movie and TV, all behaves the same.  

This leads me to suspect due to the Gfx card or driver, but will like to seek for some input in the forum first.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JoshuaFung,

Are you getting this issue after Win 10 Upgrade only or it was there with previous OS as well?

Are you experiencing this issue in Video files only or otherwise also system lags.

And you may try to update below version Graphics Driver which is available on hp website:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5225042&swItemId=wk_157704_1&swEnvOid=419...

I hope that answers your question. 🙂

I am an HP employee, the opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to acknowledge the post ***

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @JoshuaFung,

Are you getting this issue after Win 10 Upgrade only or it was there with previous OS as well?

Are you experiencing this issue in Video files only or otherwise also system lags.

And you may try to update below version Graphics Driver which is available on hp website:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5225042&swItemId=wk_157704_1&swEnvOid=419...

I am an HP employee, the opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to acknowledge the post ***

HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I wasn't the primary user on this machine when it was previous OS, so I can't be sure of its performance before upgrading to Win10.

I don't notice other system lag symdrome like what I observe with media playback.  

DIR /S /R does not seem to jerk at all.  

3DMark 11 graphics test runs smoothly.  Alright, when runs the "Fire Strike" for high performance gaming PC mode, the frame rate is truly pityful, I can tell the frame rate is pretty low.  But does not have the jerky fell during media playback.

I will try install the 358.87 Gfx driver and update the result.

HP Recommended

After installing the 358.87 driver, the jerk issue seems disappear.  

What is special about this driver?  Is there some performance improvement implemented specially for Z820 ?

HP Recommended

Hi @JoshuaFung,

Good to know that issue is been resolved.

There are below-mentioned fixes available with this Update.

- This driver includes security updates that address CVE-2015-7866, CVE-2015-7866, and CVE-2015-7866

- Resolves a display corruption when resuming from S4 with multiple cards installed issue.

- Resolves performance issues with SolidWorks 2015.

- Resolves a black screen issue with HP RGS. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.