Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Was just typing up an email when the screen went black and when the picture returned it was huge. Display settings are all the recommended settings. How do I fix this?

45 REPLIES 45
HP Recommended

I experienced the same thing today. The event log for the monitor listed two events.

1) 

Device DISPLAY\HWP2934\1&8713bca&0&UID0 was configured.

Driver Name: oem3.inf
Class Guid: {4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Driver Date: 07/25/2013
Driver Version: 2.1.0.0
Driver Provider: HP
Driver Section: 2011x_D.Install
Driver Rank: 0xFF0000
Matching Device Id: MONITOR\HWP2934
Outranked Drivers: monitor.inf:*PNP09FF:00FF2000
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: ROOT\BasicDisplay\0000

2)

Device DISPLAY\HWP2934\1&8713bca&0&UID0 was started.

Driver Name: oem3.inf
Class Guid: {4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Service: monitor

As a result the highest resolution showing on my display adapter is 1280x1024 60Mhz. I did have 1600x900 and 1920x1080. I have no idea what caused this configuration change to take place. I was typing and the screen went black and then came back on a few seconds later with the 640x480 resolution.

HP Recommended

SAme experience for me at the same time interestingly....

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Do these forums ever have answers posted?

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue ... interestingly enough, it appears that many are reporting this near the same time yesterday.

HP Recommended

Same problem here!  And this machine is running at a snails pace now.  Taking FOREVER to get anything done!  Has anyone receive a solution?

HP Recommended

I still haven't found a fix for this problem yet. My original resolution settings were at the recommended setting 1024x768 but had to scale it down to the only available setting of 1280x1024 just so I wouldn't have this obnoxious large picture to work with.  The picture is still weirdly stretched, including the taskbar icons on the bottom. Some suggestions from other sites about this problem seems to be a bad driver update from HP? I contacted a computer whiz and hope to be able to pick his brain on how to correct this. Will let you know if I found a solution. 

HP Recommended

This is exactly the same issue I had - same date, same symptoms.  What the heck is going on?

HP Recommended

OK, it's fixed! My computer whiz friend found the problem but it even took him a while to figure it out also. It's definitely a driver issue and here's how to solve it.

*Go to: Device Manager

*Click on "Display Adapters"

*Right click on... whatever the name is of your adapter. (Mine is ATI Radeon HD4200)

* Click on "Properties"

* In the window, click on "Driver"

*Click on "Roll Back Driver"

Then click on the "OK" or "Apply" button and voila.....it's back to normal.

Good luck everyone!

HP Recommended

Well, "roll back driver" was greyed out, so I couldn't do that.  But it got me thinking, and I did a search on my PC for drivers and found one dated 2015.  I installed that one, saw a couple of scary black screens, and then my 1920 x 1080 settings were back!   All's right with the world now.  Thanks to everybody who contributed.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.