Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6520y
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

After restoring a Windows 8 pro image and upgrading to 8.1, I only have 2 resolutions to choose form: 1280x1024 and 1024x768.

Tried to update the drivers but windows tells me it's the best driver.

I tried installing an original driver form HP but it wouldn't install. Can't remember why.

Can anyone point me to the proper driver?

Thanks,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, James:

Your PC is not supported by HP for W8, W8.1 or W10, and there are no W8, 8.1 or W10 drivers for the integrated AMD Radeon HD 4200 graphics adapter your PC has.

So the only suggestion I can offer would be to try manually installing the graphics driver from your PC's support page as follows...We'll try the easy way first and if that doesn't work, we will then try the more advanced method.

1. Download and install the free file utility.  The 2nd item on the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

2.  After you install 7-Zip, download and save but do not run the graphics driver from your PC's support page.

Original driver for the ATI Radeon 3000 and RS880 graphics solutions.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL33370/pv-82994-1/sp46332.exe

3. After you download and save the graphics driver, right click on it and select 7-Zip from the list of options.

4.  Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp46332).

5. Once 7-Zip has created the driver folder, go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.   Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way. 

Then restart the PC.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, James:

Your PC is not supported by HP for W8, W8.1 or W10, and there are no W8, 8.1 or W10 drivers for the integrated AMD Radeon HD 4200 graphics adapter your PC has.

So the only suggestion I can offer would be to try manually installing the graphics driver from your PC's support page as follows...We'll try the easy way first and if that doesn't work, we will then try the more advanced method.

1. Download and install the free file utility.  The 2nd item on the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

2.  After you install 7-Zip, download and save but do not run the graphics driver from your PC's support page.

Original driver for the ATI Radeon 3000 and RS880 graphics solutions.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL33370/pv-82994-1/sp46332.exe

3. After you download and save the graphics driver, right click on it and select 7-Zip from the list of options.

4.  Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp46332).

5. Once 7-Zip has created the driver folder, go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.   Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way. 

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

The driver installed ok and the resolution looks good now.

I was curious.

About 3 months ago I did a clean install of Windows 8 Pro and upgraded to 8.1. I didn't have this issue at all.

Why did this happen this time??

James

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I would have no idea.

I have a HP 8200 Elite CMT and it has an AMD Radeon HD 6570 graphics card.

I used to be able to simply install the XP graphics driver, and bingo.

The last time I tried installing the driver, it would not install for love or money, and I had to go through all kinds of steps to get that driver to install.

Who says PC's are logical?

One would think that if something worked the first time, it would work every time.

Apparently not.

But now at least you know what to do if you encounter that problem again.

HP Recommended

PCs can get screwy like me.

Thanks for the fast response.  It's appreciated,

James

HP Recommended

Anytime, James.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.