Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
DESKTOP All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is about a 2 year old PC. It is about the screen toggling at startup from the blue screen to the sign-in screen then back and forth endlessly, it never settles down and can't get signed in or do anything including shut-down, which I have to use the power button. I ran diagnostics and showed a video memory test failure after running the loop-test for quite awhile. Have 2 _24 digit failure ID codes, 1 from quick test then 1 from loop test that are different. I opened her up to reseat cards and cables and the first thing I found was the ribbon cable to the screen had been folded/creased hard and assembled pinched between two opposing plastic case rib supports. Thank you HP for the not so fine assembly from a sloppy worker? I moved that ribbon into the pocket it belonged in but fear that this kinked and pinched flat delicate cable to the monitor is the problem not the components of card or screen? The problem just started after a very gentle move to a new location in the house. Never dropped or ruff handled. I was at first in disbelief. But after seeing that cable I can not get it out of my head. Should I replace it first before buying other parts? Is there anything else I should check? In diagnostic mode the screen is flawless. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

no photos of cable bad shown, by you, damage is first  a pure visual things, words do no work it is electrons that must flow

I must tell you if you took apart 100s of laptops rife with ribbon cables , yes some are folded in half to turn 90degrees.

this is common and is only done 1 times not 10. so is ok,  fully valid (ask the ribbon maker that) or show yours.

pinched is a whole other matter and is bad, that. sure.  (if the pinch cuts into insulation that is bad.

Your PC is sick

the GPU inside the intel is igpu and steals DDR main ram memory to forum  up VRAM<so  if that fails that means the DDR bank of RAM is bad, (if power good)

the test is test 1 DDR stick at a time, can I assume you have 2, there, as is BEST always, for dual channel speeds and 10x more easy to test 1 by 1, own 2,

re-seating ram can fix it.

ARE THE BIOS SCREEN dead? too? power on , hammer ESC and then F2 to get BIOS main screens?

buy new cable and replace it if physically damaged.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

I am new to this forum and to learn more about computers from people who know. I did reseat the card and there is only one. That changed nothing. I did move the computer from one place to another and that could have caused something with this pinched ribbon cable I found inside. I moved that cable to an open corner pocket where it obviously should have been. It does change direction 90 degrees but that was not the pinched portion. I know the difference between gently folded 90's to change direction and a hard fold over 180 not changing direction just ribbon landed wrong from careless install and was then pinched by the case when snapped shut. I could purchase that cable first and then the Ram/Memory Card. The failure during a loop test is 'Video Memory' and is random/intermittent. I have run the test multiple times with 'Passed' most times and only found 'Failure' twice. All of the diagnostic screens are rock solid video so I'm not sure why the toggling screen when a normal startup is tried? Thank you for your reply and sharing knowledge.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.