Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
dc7900
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I am looking at buying a used functional dc7900. I have seen some with a dvd player and some with a dvd recorder drive. I have an H563 recorder drive from an elite8000. if I buy one with the player drive can I swap it for the recorder drive? are they both SATA? can I swap the hdd for a larger one? some have hdd some do not. the hdd I will use  is a win7 clone from my elite 8000 cmt, 500gig. both hdds work fine in both desktops. I have three more cloned hdds. ready for installation. I realize that the 7900 and 8000 are one model apart. but it will suffice for my purposes. I can add a usb hub to the front ports if needed. any advice welcome.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your 8000 elite is the same form factor as the dc7900 you want to buy, the DVD drive from the 8000 will fit into the dc7900.

They are both SATA.

They both have the same chipset so the drives should boot right up.

You can go up to 2 TB drives in either model.

The major difference between the two, is the dc7900 uses DDR2-6400 memory, and the 8000 Elite uses DDR3-10600 memory that runs at 1066 MHz.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.