Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
p6-2300a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How to change from installed graphics card to integrated graphics p6-2300a desktop?

Do I do it in the BIOS or is there some way to do it from windows. I removed the card expecting the mobo to recognise that it was not there and automatically transfer to providing the signal from the integrated graphics - no dice.

CPU is supposed to be i5-3330 - Intel Ark says it has integrated graphics and mobo has ports (although covered) and HP support website says only that you can't have both the graphics card and the integrated graphics working at the same time.

Not looking to replace the card as the computer is quite old and not used for anything important, but the signal keeps dropping out after about 20 mins of use - regardless of whether it is active or not. As the monitor is brand new (replaced in the first step of problem solving) it is not the monitor - so I assume it is the graphics card, mobo or possibly the psu.

Power settings are all set to "never" (sleep, turn off monitor etc)

Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@helpfulson
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Are you trying to connect the monitor to an integrated graphics port? Which is covered?
  • Have you tried only with system integrated graphic card?
  • Are you getting any error message while the signal is dropping?

Keep me posted!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi Echo_Lake,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for posting your reply to my query.
  • I was trying to access via a port that was covered - removed the cover to see that the port was installed and then tried it - no output that I could discern or that the monitor recognised.
  • I was attempting to problem solve an issue where the monitor would display "no signal" even while the computer was actively being used and all power settings were set to never sleep or turn off.
  • No error message was visible - no signal from monitor - and only way to fix problem was to reboot computer
I thought that by removing the installed graphics card that the motherboard would automatically output via the integrated graphics that the specs said should be there as part of the CPU.
Was unable to figure out how to enter the BIOS to look for a setting to turn on or activate the integrated graphics as I was struggling to get the unit to display without the faulty card in place.
Didn't have access to a working graphics card to try replacing to see if that solved the problem.
Computer has been replaced with a new one, but I am still keen to fix the issue and re-purpose the computer if I can solve the issue with the disappearing signal.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve
HP Recommended

@helpfulson
To get the answer to this question, as you've mentioned the functionality of an add-on card will not work with an integrated card. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Not sure we are on the same page here.

I understand that the  integrated graphics won't work while there is a graphics card installed on the mobo.

However, once that card has been removed from the system (taken out of the slot) the mobo should revert to the on chip graphics that come with the CPU (i5-3330). That CPU doesn't require a graphics card to be installed - you only do that to increase the capability of the setup if you want or need greater graphics processing power - gaming etc. Or have I got that wrong?

So the question is: Why did it not automatically change to on chip graphics once card was removed?

Do I need to alter settings in the BIOS or has the on chip graphics been disabled somehow that I am unable to reverse via settings?

HP Recommended

@helpfulson

By default the PC should use the integrated card once the external one is removed. Let us run a test on the hardware components of the PC

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. Perform System Test > Extensive test. Share the result

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307,

Thanks for your reply and thanks for backing up my belief that the mobo should recognise the lack of an add-on card.

I managed to get to the Diagnostics Menu by following your instructions, however it did not offer an option for Perform System Test (extensive or otherwise) - it offered the following options: Start-up Test, Run-in Test, System Tune-up, Hard Disk Test, Memory Test, Error Log, Language or exit.

Any other ideas?

Thanks Steve

HP Recommended

@helpfulson
Thank you for posting back,

The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics are available in two versions. The Windows version is for use in Windows. The UEFI version is for use when Windows won't start.

Try this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259 Testing for Hardware Failures. ( refer to the Installing HP PC Hardware Diagnostics step) 

Keep me posted

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Echo_Lake,

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I will give that a go and see what it returns.

Regards,

Steve

HP Recommended

@helpfulson

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.  

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.