Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

I have a HP 17" laptop that I purchased a couple of months ago. OS system is Windows 10 64 Bit. The laptop has one of those permanent batteries, unlike my last HP in which you could replace a battery with a new one when it ran down. Up until now, I only get about 5 hours of battery life. A couple of days ago I ran the battery down to 0. The message came up telling me that my battery was low. I went ahead and kept using it. Suddenly, it ran out of power and shut off. Okay, that was expected.  I was on wifi that night. The next morning when I plugged it into the wall (now on the network, not wifi), as soon as it turned on it showed the recharge percentage at 29%, THAT  I did not expect. How did t go from zero percent to 29% over night? I didn't try to recharge it at night. I simply closed the lid and took it home. Brought it with me to work the next day, plugged it in, turned it on and bingo, it was already at 29% charged. I don't get it. Am I somehow missing 29% operational ability? I was told by the salesman that I should get about 10 hours of use. Anyone know why it apparantly charged itself by 29% overnight while just sitting there, turned off? Thanks in advance. I'm thinking either tiny little druids playing tricks with me, or extra terrestrials messing with me!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Scoop65,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! 

I understand you have a concern with the battery life on your new HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the battery drivers from device manager?

Have you tried to update the Bios?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Next thing, please try these few steps to enhance battery life.

For Detailed information, please follow this link: HP Notebook PCs - Improving Battery Performance (Windows)

• Make sure that the Windows 10 power plan is set to Balanced  Performance to conserve battery power
  • Consider which programs you are running; some programs, like graphics-intensive games, will deplete the battery faster
  • .Reduce the convertible’s screen brightness to conserve battery power
  • Remove peripherals like external hard drives from the convertible while they are not is use

Please follow the steps to uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control from Device manager: 

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue. The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging.

I would suggest please update the Bios and Chipset drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link: http://hp.com/drivers Select the country and language. Enter the product# and follow the on-screen instructions.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10) (Skip the steps if you have already performed).

Next thing, I would suggest here is to run the test on the battery from F2.(Click on Component test - Scroll down to Power)

Please remember to capture the failure ID for further assistance.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, Jeet, however, I wouldn't know how to do even one of the steps you mentioned. I will take it to the computer tech that my company uses and have him take a look at your instructions. I really do appreciate your help!

HP Recommended

@Scoop65,

As I understand you need assistance in trying these steps. You can either contact our HP support team or you can contact the local tech and they can assist you with the issue.

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, Jeet. I will definitely let you know the outcome, If it works, others who have the same situation will have a solution! Hopefully I will have an answer within the next week or two. Again, thanks!      Kirk 🙂

HP Recommended

@Scoop65,

Yes, they will! please perform those steps and get back to us, anytime, we await your response.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.