Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have a HP wireless mouse, model No. MG-0856, on which the left mouse button has become temperamental recently, which is probably just due to dirt on the contacts. I can hear the click sound but the object is not selected (no switch contact) or a "double click" occurred (rebound probably due to dirt or oxidation).

As the warranty is over, how do I go about taking the mouse apart so I can gain access to the microswitch ? I removed the screw in the battery compartment but it didn't help. Is there a hidden screw somewhere or do I have to use some force ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry, the original message was not clear (copy paste error among others). It's been edited now. It is not a software or optical problem. It's the left button switch that needs to be cleaned or replaced. Once I have removed the screw in the battery compartment, how do I open the mouse case to access that switch ? (Hidden screw ? Plastic hooks ?)

Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi JagV12,

I understand you are having some difficulties with your mouse. While I admit I don't know a great deal about your specific mouse, I thought the following support doc might be helpful, Troubleshooting Mouse Problems (Windows 😎. Take a look at the "The mouse pointer stops moving periodically, only moves in one direction, or moves erratically" section. It has some cleaning instructions you might want to try. Seeing a shot of your mouse, it looks you have the similar LED bulb that, if cleaned as suggested in this doc, might solve your problem. Give it a shot and let me know. Best of luck to you. Have a great day.

Ryan1216
I work on behalf of HP

The advice and opinions given here are my own and not those of HP
HP Recommended

Sorry, the original message was not clear (copy paste error among others). It's been edited now. It is not a software or optical problem. It's the left button switch that needs to be cleaned or replaced. Once I have removed the screw in the battery compartment, how do I open the mouse case to access that switch ? (Hidden screw ? Plastic hooks ?)

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Late reply to an old thread, however:

There are 4 more screws hidden under the 3 low-friction pads on the base of the mouse. Onnce these have been removed, the case gently unpeels from the bottom to a "hingy" bit at the top (button) end.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.