Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 500 series
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hope this is the right section to post my query to.

So I often use the bluetooth on my PC to send files to my mobile, it's extremely convienent - but lately it has stopped working. The bluetooth icon has dissapeared from my system tray, and the 'send to bluetooth' option has gone when I right click a file. I don't know why this has happened, and I've tried the following solutions to try and get it to work.

- going into fsquirt and attempting to send files through there.

- going into services and restarting 'bluetooth support service' and setting it to automatic (doesn't work)

- going through devices and printers, right clicking my PC, going to bluetooth settings and restoring defaults (doesn't work)

I'm running windows 7, and using the Ralink bluetooth 4.0 adapter.

please don't tell me to do any of the above again as I have clearly already done them, they don't work.

Thank you

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@NotEnoughRAM
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  ​​​​​​
Let's try BIOS default and restart:

1. Restart your computer.
  2. During startup, press F10 repeatedly until the BIOS menu is displayed.
  3. Once the BIOS menu is displayed, press F9 to restore factory defaults.
  4. Select Yes to confirm.
  5. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
  6. Select Yes to confirm.
  7. The computer restarts using the default settings.

For further assistance try all the relevant steps from this link: http://hp.care/2s587NQ (to fix Bluetooth related issues)​

​​​​​​

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response, I restored defaults and nothing happened. So yeah, didn't work unfortunately.

The link also didn't help at all as it requires me to go to 'Bluetooth and other devices settings.' which I do not have.

Also going to stress that I've used the bluetooth on this Pc for a number of years now, so yes it does have it.

HP Recommended

Also in device manage bluetooth only shows up when I show hidden devices for some reason. They are also all greyed out.

Interestingly when I check the properties it says "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)" it's not an external device so I don't see why not.

HP Recommended

Uh oh - I unistalled it through device manager assuming it would reinstall. Now it's gone.

HP Recommended

@NotEnoughRAM

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 

As per the error message "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)" refers to hardware components related issue. 

Firstly, let's try to perform a force reset:
Disconnect all external devices connected to the desktop, including keyboard and mouse.

next press and hold the power button for 20 sec and then connect all the devices back, 
once its done let's uninstall the bluetooth device from device manager by following steps:  

Windows key X > M (opens the Device Manager)  > Bluetooth >

Right-Click your Bluetooth Adapter > Properties > Uninstall (do NOT delete) >

OK.  Reboot / Restart the computer and log in – the driver will reinstall itself.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your reply. I uninstalled the bluetooth device from device manager already. But after rebooting it did not reinstall. Now it is gone from device manager.

HP Recommended

@NotEnoughRAM

Great! now let's install Bluetooth driver from here and check.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed (although I had to change it to win 8.1). However, after installing when I try to set it up I get an error message 'Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9996)'.

Is there a way to force this to work, because this error message seems to be all that separates me from getting the thing to work.

HP Recommended

@NotEnoughRAM

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, let's run the Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Next: BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629 this should fix the issue.

Please click
“Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.