Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, almost a year ago my computer did a system update and since then I haven't been able to connect to our wifi. I have tried many different approaches without success - I have reaches as far as understanding that I have a "most feared situation", and that it that "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". Well, the computer has never used anything except wifi for connection before, but apparently this completely blocks wifi connection?

I have other devices and Have almost given up on being able to use my nice old Pavilion again, but I would like ta give this one more try.

what happens when I try to connect is that:

1. The computer finds my wifi, asks for password, I write it in and it tries to connect. No connection, so then I rightclick and troubleshoot.

2. Windows network diagnostics tells me that I have no preferred wireless networks and that Ethernet 2 adapter and Ethernet adapter is disables. 

3. I go to system info for network connections and it's the same story

I can see exactly when this started, 22/10/2016 when the last log entry is that the Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 b/g/n wifi adapter installed a new driver. And no, it doesn't seem to be possible to uninstall.

The one remaining thing I haven't dared trying is to rebooting the whole system, as I fear being left with an empty computer tjat still cannot connect to the internet. Before doing anything drastic I am backing up all files, bu I will loose plenty of software I no longer have any possibility to reinstall.

All and any advice is much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @MarieWL,

I read your quick response completely. You've displayed a great temperament and immense patience to get the issue resolved. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂  It has been amazing working with you. Let me know how things pan out after a system recovery. I am always there to assist you if needed.  It has been an absolute honor to share this platform with you. 🙂

It clearly points towards a corrupted Operating system as the USB wireless adapter is also not working, 2 Wifi adapters and one ethernet port cannot go faulty at the same time. For this to happen it should be the coincidence of the decade. 🙂  Doing a system recovery will keep you in good stead and should help you to go online with either the USB wifi adapter or the internal wireless card. It should do the trick for you.

Let me know how this goes.

Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind. I honestly hope the product works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

If this helps, please mark my post as an Accepted Solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Please remember if you as a customer do it, it will motivate us to assist a lot of other customers and churn out more solutions for their benefit.

Thanks and have a beautiful year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @MarieWL,

Good Day. Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that the computer has Wi-Fi connectivity issues. I will be really glad to assist you here. Smiley Happy

Fabulous description and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a windows or software update?
  • Did you check with a hard-wired Ethernet cable to see if it goes online on a wired connection?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the computer to assist you better.

For a start please try these steps:

• First, check if the computer connects using a hardwired Ethernet cable on a wired connection

If it does please perform these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand Network adapters>then select the network drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that says delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and wireless network drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions through the hardwired ethernet cable connection.
  • Please select the country and type the product# of the computer. Then follow the on-screen instructions to update the network drivers.
  • Also, follow the prescribed steps from his guided troubleshooter: http://hp.care/2tp5hbc  and that should fix things for you as long as there are no hardware issues with the computer.
  •  
  • Please perform all the prescribed steps from this link: http://hp.care/2sEZlcM
  • also to try and resolve the issue.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. As a last resort, you could backup your files and perform a system recovery to factory settings from here  http://hp.care/2ijzLar  to ensure that the issue is not software related.

If it still doesn't work, A great workaround would be is to buy a USB wireless dongle from Best Buy or Staples or from Amazon or e-bay and plug it to one of the USB ports of the computer. Then connect it to the router to go online. It is very economical and cost-effective and can be ordered for a song.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Wink

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear David, 

thanks a lot for the links and tips. I have been through all the steps suggested by you and in the links, all except a system recovery, and I'm leaning towards cleaning out the harddrive and start over from scratch as nothings seems to make a difference. I even went out and bought, as you suggested, a cheap wifi dongle, uninstalled the driver for the Realtek WiFi adapter, and installed the external one - only to get the same error message from troubleshooting, the same old "Ethernet 2 doesn't have a valid IP configuration". Ah well, the guys in the store told me that I could return the dongle if it didn't work.

To take it from the top, what I have is a two year old HP Pavilion Desktop - 500-415no, meaning that the sweet dust collector was 14 months old when it lost connection with the outside world. From what I can tell, looking in the logs, the issue occured after an automatic software update; the Ethernet and Realtek WiFi adapter drivers were updated just after each other and after that the computer has had no internet access. 

If I do try a system recovery, the HP info tells me that I will loose a lot of customization. I have an external harddrive on which I have backed up all personal files. My only concern is: will there be enough drivers left after a system reset so that the Pavilion will be able to start up again? I've never tried this before, so if there is any definite "Do" and "Don't" I appreciate any info about it.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi @MarieWL,

I read your quick response completely. You've displayed a great temperament and immense patience to get the issue resolved. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂  It has been amazing working with you. Let me know how things pan out after a system recovery. I am always there to assist you if needed.  It has been an absolute honor to share this platform with you. 🙂

It clearly points towards a corrupted Operating system as the USB wireless adapter is also not working, 2 Wifi adapters and one ethernet port cannot go faulty at the same time. For this to happen it should be the coincidence of the decade. 🙂  Doing a system recovery will keep you in good stead and should help you to go online with either the USB wifi adapter or the internal wireless card. It should do the trick for you.

Let me know how this goes.

Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind. I honestly hope the product works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

If this helps, please mark my post as an Accepted Solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Please remember if you as a customer do it, it will motivate us to assist a lot of other customers and churn out more solutions for their benefit.

Thanks and have a beautiful year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.