Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 23-d044
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OD5biOjX4WAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCIts been a really long time since I've looked into this again, and this time I have found the source of the problem but I don't know how I should continue.

A few months ago, my ethernet cable stopped working and my computer switched to Wi-Fi, I didn't notice at first but I realized that my speed was down a bit.

I tried all of the regular troubleshooting and looked online for help until I looked on this forum and it told me to reinstall the driver or update it. But the driver wasn't there in Device Manager. I tried installing it automatically using 

UWgOK33F99Se0GgIFAQKAgUBAoCBYGCwBgQKE7rGEAsVRQECgIFgYJAQaAgUBAoCNxfBP4fuX0sOhyZbkAAAAASUVORK5CYII

the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Win10 Auto Installation Program but it wouldn't install because it couldn't detect the driver. I have also checked my modem and my cable to see if that was the issue but it wasn't.
(TL:DR: My ethernet driver is completely gone from the device manager, modem and cable are fine)

Are there any solutions out there?

system info if neededsystem info if needed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Looking at your screenshot, it seems to me that the ethernet chip on the motherboard has failed (which is the only reason it would just up and disappear).

Since the only fix would be to replace the motherboard, the easiest thing to do would be to purchase an external USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter, plug it into one of your PC's USB 3 ports and you will have a faster ethernet connection again.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ethernet-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B00BBD7NFU/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=785...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Looking at your screenshot, it seems to me that the ethernet chip on the motherboard has failed (which is the only reason it would just up and disappear).

Since the only fix would be to replace the motherboard, the easiest thing to do would be to purchase an external USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter, plug it into one of your PC's USB 3 ports and you will have a faster ethernet connection again.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ethernet-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B00BBD7NFU/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=785...

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply!

HP Recommended

What reasons could there be to cause it to just fail, could it be heating issues?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That could have been the problem, but my money is on it took a power surge from a lightning strike nearby, or something similar.

Happens all the time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.