Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8200 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I have an HP Compaq Elite 8200 SFF Desktop PC. After several years of trouble-free use, the Ethernet connection (an Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Adapter) on the motherboard) is having issues. Windows tells me that the interface is connected to the internet, however the apps (browsers, Netflix, mail for example) tell me that I am not connected. A system restart sometimes clears the problem, but not always. I have tried disabling and enabling and reinstalling the driver. 

as a workaround I am using a USB WiFi dongle. This is working okay so far albeit a lot slower than the 300+ Mbps that I get from the Ethernet interface when it works.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The 82579LM adapter has known  problems.  Bring up the device manager, select the network adapter, select properties and advanced and

make sure jumbo frames are disabled

disable Energy Efficient Ethernet

If the above does not help then try the latest (that I can find) Intel driver 27.4

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17479/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-8-1....

select the win 8.1 family  x64 (38.6 gb zip) 

If you look at the readme the problem with EEE and Jumbo are mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The 82579LM adapter has known  problems.  Bring up the device manager, select the network adapter, select properties and advanced and

make sure jumbo frames are disabled

disable Energy Efficient Ethernet

If the above does not help then try the latest (that I can find) Intel driver 27.4

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17479/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-8-1....

select the win 8.1 family  x64 (38.6 gb zip) 

If you look at the readme the problem with EEE and Jumbo are mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hello BeemerBiker,

I followed your suggestions to make sure jumbo frames are disabled and to disable Energy Efficient Ethernet. The jumbo frames option was already disabled. I disabled Energy Efficient Ethernet. I didn't use the interface for a few days but swapped back to it a week ago. I have not had a problem with it since.

Thank you very much for your help. It looks like the problem has been solved.

Cheers,

Ian

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.