Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP p7-1010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Installed a gigabit network adapter in PCIe slot 2.  I'm on a FIOS Gig network capable of speeds over 900 Mbps.

I'm only getting a max of about 100 Mbps.

This same card, inserted into the motherboard of another dekstop PC is getting 900 or so down and up.

Is it possible that the motherboard in this desktop is not capable of gig speeds?

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Did you check your HUB support max. speed ? sometime your Gigabit LAN could not over 100MB, because these reasons:

1. HUB suporrt Gigabit port or not ?

2. Cable :1000BADE-TX Twisted-pair cabling ( Cat-6, Cat-7 )

3. OS driver: Windows XP did not support.

you can see more details by Wiki web:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Did you check your HUB support max. speed ? sometime your Gigabit LAN could not over 100MB, because these reasons:

1. HUB suporrt Gigabit port or not ?

2. Cable :1000BADE-TX Twisted-pair cabling ( Cat-6, Cat-7 )

3. OS driver: Windows XP did not support.

you can see more details by Wiki web:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet

HP Recommended

ACTW,

Thanks for your quick response.  Your suggestions made it possible for me to solve the issue.

As it turns out, it was the ethernet cable that I was using.  I had an old cat5 cable running from the FIOS gig router to my desktop computer, and it went through a few connectors on the way, and was about 40 or so feet long.  

I replaced that cable with a new cat6 cable and ran it directly from the FIOS router to the desktop, with no connectors in "the loop", just rj-45 connectors at each end.  That solved the problem.  I am now getting what I think are accepetab speeds using that  pcie gig ethernet adapter installed in the desktop.  (usually about 500 down / 500 up)

THANKS,

John

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am very happy to hear this good news, and enjoy your High-speed network in the future.

Regards,

Albert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.