Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 510-P024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there another drive update that will fix this or is this a limitation of the network card?--If its the network card, is there another recommendation for another PCI network card that will work with this desktop?--Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

The card is a gigabit ethernet adapter so it is not a limitation of the card.

Couple of suggestions...

1. Make sure that you are using CAT 6 ethernet cables going from your modem to your router, and your router to your PC.

Both of those devices have to support a gigabit ethernet connection for the ethernet adapter to run at 1 GB/S.

2. Update the ethernet controller driver...

10.34.307.2019     Apr 16, 2019

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp95501-96000/sp95676.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul, I have Cat5E going from router location to the wall plug in computer room and a short Cat 6 jumper from the wall plug to the Desktop. I'm assuming they will match up and are backward  compatible. Perhaps I need to check the connectors. I will also download the updated drivers and report back. Thanks for your help !!  Ken

HP Recommended

Hello Paul, I've updated the driver as suggested and no change to the limitation on the network card? When I take a look at the paramaters under speed and duplex setting, there is no option for 1 GB- only 100 MBPS. I have it set for auto negotiate however ! Still perplexed !

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The next time you are at a store that sells ethernet cables (Walmart, Best Buy, etc.,), pick up a cat 6 cable if it is not too hard to run it from the router in your computer room to your wall jack.

Sorry that the driver update didn't work for you either.

I looked at the motherboard specs for your PC, and there are no PCIe x1 slots...only a PCIe x16 slot for a graphics card.

I suppose you could also buy a USB to RJ-45 USB ethernet adapter, plug it into a USB 3 port and see if that gets you a gigabit ethernet connection.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ethernet-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B00BBD7NFU/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=786...

HP Recommended

Thanks - I guess that means that the network card is built into the MB ? And no way to add another  network card ? I think that there is only one usb3 port - would like to preserve that but looks like no other option. Do you know if Realtek has  any customer support ? Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is correct.

The ethernet adapter is a chip that is an integral part of the motherboard.

Here is the link to the Realtek customer support folks...it seems that you would want to contact the 1st e-mail address listed under the Communications Network Products section.

https://www.realtek.com/en/cu-1-en/cu-1-usa-en

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul. Here is an update since your last suggestion and a possible help for others who may have related issues. I've  since discovered that the person who wired my house with Cat5e used one pair for phone service two pairs for internet and there is a non used pair-total of four pairs. It is my understanding you need all four pairs for  GB service ! I will need to go back and reconnect R45 connectors  using all four pairs for the line going to the room where my desktop is located. It is my hope that once this is done, the Network card will give me the option for GB service. If not, I will purchase a usb3 to GB adapter. I have two usb3 ports on this motherboard. Again thanks for your support and I am signing off on this problem for now.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.