Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My ability to print from my computer has been an on again, off again problem yet I can print from my tablet or iPhone.

Not sure if this is the culprit, but everything was fine until HP prompted me to change my printer email address to a designated HP one so I can ePrint, and it won't let me change it back.  Now it's a crap shoot if it's going to print at all.  

I have researched and followed HP web advice, downloaded HP Print and Scan Doctor, unistalled and reinstalled both through the online download and with the software that came with the printer.  Some work for a time and then I find myself back to problems.  I've checked wireless settings to make sure I am connected and verified it's with the same network.  I am not router savvy enough to mess with IP addresses and settings on my own.  

I read of a similar problem on the forum but her was a different printer.  The HP Advisor suggested she restore network settings.  After reading the warning, I chose not to go there!  Scary:-0

So I am resorting to a forum posting, hoping to get this settled once and for all.  HELP!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello@tmiller2

Welcome to the HP Forums.I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.Thank you for sharing the issue details.I will certainly do my best to help you.

I understand you are having issues while accessing web services. Try assigning a static IP address and a manual DNS address to fix this issue.

Try the steps below:

* Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.

* Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.

* Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)

* Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.

* Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I went through the whole instruction on how to finally get my printer to sync up with my computer and print. It worked. Once.  And then I immediately got this message...

"Caution: Network communication between the printer and network might be lost after saving your new settings. If you are not able to access to EWS, refresh the browser or access the EWS with the new network settings e.g. new IP address." I got an OK button which took me back to where I was but I didn't see anything different. I tried to click to impliment the same process again, but nothing happened.

The printer still does not work. Not sure what this means. Or what I should do. Could you please give me a step by step tutorial to fix this and make it work permanently? Like the one you gave to get me to this point? Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi @Thomas111MN,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues printing from your computer on your HP OfficeJet 8600 printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the Operating system installed on the PC? Is it Windows or Mac

Did you make any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Did you try to use Print and Scan Doctor.

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

Let’s start by assigning a static IP address to the printer. Here are the steps:

For Windows:  HP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows)

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says, “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says, “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)
  • Restart the printer and then router once done.

Once done, perform a clean install on the printer as suggested below:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control Panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control Panel – Devices and Printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now, click https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers (Please choose the Operating system and version of Windows before downloading and installing the software.
  • Connect the USB cable only when prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to setup the printer.

For Mac: HP Printers - Printer is Offline (Mac)

Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.

Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.

Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.

Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)

Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.

Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

If the issue persists, perform a reset printing to completely fix this issue as suggested below:

Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.

Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.

Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.

Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.

Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.

Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list

Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.

Click the “Add button” (+).

Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.

Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint. Alternatively, you may select the name of your printer if available in that list.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Jeet,

I did download and use the Print and Scan Doctor, and rebooted my router and printer, but it did not work the first time. I followed your questions on your reply today and started all over. I re-downloaded the Scan Doctor and used it again with a reboot of the router and the printer and viola! It works now! Thanks!

Did you make any changes on the printer before the issue started? No. Computer got wiped. Reinstalled Windows 7, and HP 8610 from disk.

Did you try to use Print and Scan Doctor. Yes, did not work the first time.

Are you able to make a copy from the printer? Yes.

I'm confident this is a permanent fix. If not, I'll let you know. Thank-you very much! 

HP Recommended

Hi @Thomas111MN,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Thomas111MN,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If your finding you printer is in fact ONLINE, what helped me was going to the printer icon in the bottom right taskbar and clicking on it, once it opens up click the "Printer tab", then UNCHECK "use printer offline", this fixed everything for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.