Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Touchsmart 520-1038

HP Touchsmart 520-1038 Wifi option completely vanished? It is not even an option to find a wireless network, There is not a WIFI option anymore, the diagnostics only states an ethernet cable unplugged which I do not/have not even used. I did move the computer to be connected now to try to find a solution so I m hard wired.  I have tried a few things suggested on here(from a few years ago that I could find with no luck). I updated to windows 10, with no luck. I have looked in "hidden" as suggested and a wifi#3 showed as grayed out, stated not connected. It was recommended by someone to try uninstalling and rebooting. Well....it disappeared and never came back. So I am at a loss. I have never had a problem before a few weeks ago. I cannot find any drivers to download for this model to try, any help is appreciated. Thanks!! 

Erin

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, Erin:

Most likely the wifi adapter has failed if it wasn't working before you upgraded to W10.

If it was working fine before you upgraded to W10, the Ralink wifi adapter your PC comes with doesn't work with the newer builds of W10 and it is very common for the Ralink wifi and Bluetooth (if applicable) to completely disappear from the device manager.

The easiest thing to do to fix the issue would be to purchase a dual band USB wifi adapter.

HP Recommended

It worked a few weeks ago just fine. It usually will run auto updates on its own so I thought that may have been what happened but when I connected with the cord it then said it was updating. So Im not sure why it suddenly failed out of no where.  The computer runs great still, its really frustrating.  

Thank you for your response! Much appreciated.  Since you clearly know what you are talking about and I am not computer software savvy, is there one you might recommend? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

This one seems to have good reviews...it even comes with Bluetooth.

Amazon.com: USB WiFi Bluetooth Adapter, 600Mbps Dual Band 2.4/5Ghz Wireless Network External Receive...

HP Recommended

I will try that and let you know how it goes.  Happy new year 😊 and again thank you for taking the time to answer my plea!! 

Erin

HP Recommended

Anytime, Erin.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Happy New Year to you too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.