Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 251-a126 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am hard wired to the Internet (I have wireless, but have it disconnected because my job requires hard wire). Have checked all my connections, and everything is nice and tight. However, I keep getting disconnected from the Internet every few minutes. The loss of connections is a few seconds, then comes back on, but it keeps happening over and over. I've called tech support at my cable company, and they did all kinds of tests. Their conclusion was that it must be coming from my computers modem. I need help. My computer is like 2 weeks past the warranty, and I can't afford to spend money on telephone tech support. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Debbie.

It would be much cheaper for you to purchase an external usb ethernet adapter like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-SuperSpeed-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00BBD7NFU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qi...

Then you just plug it into the back USB3 port your PC has.

Nutmeg-P back I/O ports

1. DC power input
  2. USB 3.0
  3. USB 2.0: 2
  4. LAN
  5. DVI-D
  6. VGA
  7. Audio: Line In port (light blue)
  8. Audio: Line Out port (lime)
  9. Audio: Microphone port (pink)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try the latest Realtek ethernet driver directly from Realtek.

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the 1st file on the list.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

If that doesn't work, buy an external USB to RJ-45 10/100/1000 gigabit ethernet adapter.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. I followed the download information you posted, and nothing changed. Does this mean my internal ethernet  device is defective? Should I take the motherboard for repair? I'm supposed to start a new position with my job on Monday, and I need this fixed. Very nervous now. LOL!

Thank you

Debbie

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Debbie.

It would be much cheaper for you to purchase an external usb ethernet adapter like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-SuperSpeed-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00BBD7NFU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qi...

Then you just plug it into the back USB3 port your PC has.

Nutmeg-P back I/O ports

1. DC power input
  2. USB 3.0
  3. USB 2.0: 2
  4. LAN
  5. DVI-D
  6. VGA
  7. Audio: Line In port (light blue)
  8. Audio: Line Out port (lime)
  9. Audio: Microphone port (pink)

HP Recommended

Thank you so, so, much! I'm going to purchase that external adapter right now! I really can't thank you enough!

Debbie

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I've got the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 driver, plugged it in to my usb port, plugged in the ethernet cable, and nothing. It's not detecting any connection. I tried to download the driver off the Cable Matters website, and it wouldn't let me do the setup on my desktop. I don't know what is going on. I'm so frustrated. 😞

Help if you can. And thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know what the problem could be.

When you plugged it in, did the PC recognize you installed new hardware?

According to the reviews I read, the device was supposed to be detected automatically by Windows 10, drivers installed automatically and your connection established.

Did you try plugging the adapter into another USB port?  It doesn't have to be a USB 3 port.  It would just run faster in a USB 3 port.

HP Recommended

Hi, I've got it figured out. I rebooted my computer, again, and this time it worked perfectly. Not sure why it didn't work the first time. Maybe because I didn't wait long enough for it to detect the new driver before I started to play around with it. But it any event, my download speed is much faster now too. I must have a bad ethernet connection on my motherboard. Wish I had taken care of it when I still had my HP warranty, but because I was using a wifi connection, it didn't bother me so much that the hardwire wasn't working well. I'm like 3 weeks out of my one year warranty with HP. Oh well, live and learn. Thank you so much for your help. You don't know how much I appreciate it. You're the best!!!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm glad to know that the USB network adapter works just fine.

Now that it is working, it was a cheap fix.

Replacing the motherboard out of warranty would have been very expensive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.