Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavillion A6700Y.  Currently accessing internet thru modem.  Want to go wireless and use Wi-Fi.  Any Ideas on how to do this with this computer.  If so, what would I need?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@cmm0822bam wrote:

I have a HP Pavillion A6700Y.  Currently accessing internet thru modem.  Want to go wireless and use Wi-Fi.  Any Ideas on how to do this with this computer.  If so, what would I need?

What kind of modem do you have?

Do you mean an old style telephone modem or a cable modem?

If you have a cable modem and it is not wireless then you will need to purchase a wireless modem that also has four LAN ports. Connect the router WAN port to the modem that provides your internet connection and then configure the router SSID and the wireless network card in your PC.  The simplest to setup and configure are major brands like Linksys and Netgear. Your PC has a built-in wireless-B/G network adapter. Purchasing a high tech Wireless-N  Dual band router would be serious overkill.

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@cmm0822bam wrote:

What kind of modem do you have?

Do you mean an old style telephone modem or a cable modem?

If you have a cable modem and it is not wireless then you will need to purchase a wireless modem that also has four LAN ports. Connect the router WAN port to the modem that provides your internet connection and then configure the router SSID and the wireless network card in your PC.  The simplest to setup and configure are major brands like Linksys and Netgear. Your PC has a built-in wireless-B/G network adapter. Purchasing a high tech Wireless-N  Dual band router would be serious overkill.

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

When i checked the Product details of your PC HP Pavilion a6700y Desktop PC I see that you have a Wlreless Card installed in your PC > Please Confrim by > Clicking Start > Type Device Manager Hit Enter > Click on Network Adapters > Check if you have any entry listed related to 802.11 b/g wireless > If Yes you do not have to purhcase any device to go Wireless.....If you do not have the entry please let me know what are the entries you have

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
HP Recommended

I just happen to be having the same issue. However, I'm having issues staying connected to my wireless. My interenet provider states that my wireless switch may be turned off. I have the same model. I do have a wifi modem and a netgear router.  in order to stay connected to the internet i have to use a mobile adapter from my interenet provider for my desktop. any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

HP Recommended
My only entry list isn't 802.11 b/g but instead is NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.