Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I broke a couple of thin wires installing a video board in the only open expansion slot.  They did not seem to be a problem until I moved and switched from a hardwired configuration to wifi.  The wifi does not work so I'm thinking they (the two wires)  are wifi related (antenna wires maybe?).  Whatever they are, I need to find where they go and reconnect them.  If anyone has a picture or drawing showing the terminus of the two wires it would be useful.  Even a photo of a desktop PC of the same model with emphasis on the area of the expansion slot would help.  Thanks for anything useful that you can provide.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

From what you decribed, it sounds like you inadvertently disconnected the antenna wires from the wifi card.

I can't provide any info based on the PC description you provided, and a lot of these newer PC's don't even have motherboard illustrations.

But this is what you need to look for...the wifi card is probably of the M.2 form factor, and it will be lying flat on the motherboard with one screw holding it down.

This is a typical M.2 wifi card.  It is much smaller than the illustration I posted.  Probably 1.2" wide by 3/4" long.

The antenna wires connect to those two terminals at the top right side of the card.

Paul_Tikkanen_1-1626827132832.jpeg

HP Recommended

Thank you.  It will take me a few days to get to this, but obviously, if I find the card and no wires are attached there, you have solved my problem.  I'm suspecting something exactly as you have described.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It's a tiny, little thing, so take your time exploring the motherboard.

Hopefully, it will be pretty easy to get to.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.