Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23-b112a All-in-One Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Note: Im inexperienced in handling computers. My OS is windows 10 (64-bit). Over the past few days, my desktop (HP Pavilion 23-b112a All-in-One Desktop PC) has been unexpectedly disconnecting from the internet (Wi-Fi Connection). Last night it disconnected again, and no longer listed available networks to connect to (rest of my devices work fine). Attempting to fix it, I used the "Network reset" function within "Network & Internet" in settings, and after a restart, the issue was unresolved. I then reset the computer (keeping personal files), and this didn't work either. Wi-Fi networks don't appear, and i can't access the internet. In "Device Manager" >> "Network Adapters" i have "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller", but nothing to do with Wi-Fi. I tried to install new drivers using the HP "software and driver downloads" through USB. The website gives me the options of 64bit windows 7, 8 and 8.1 Network Drivers. None of them install, and i receive a prompt saying "Your system does not meet the operating system requirements. Update has been cancelled. (9998)"

Do i need windows 10 (64bit) network drivers? Where can I find them?

Is this an issue with the Wi-Fi card inside the computer? Does it need to be re-seated or replaced?

Is there another way to fix the issue, without updating drivers?

A response would be massively appreciated. 😀

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I believe your PC has a Ralink wifi adapter, and that is a common issue with those cards and W10.

There was one W10 wifi driver released for that model card when W10 first came out, but your PC most likely has the driver installed already.  version 5.0.57.0

On the newer builds of W10, one day they just disappear from the device manager, never to return.

There is no fix other than to purchase an external USB wifi adapter.

To confirm what I suspect is the issue, go to the device manager, click on the View tab at the top of the device manager window, and select the Show hidden devices option.

Then go back to the Network adapters device manager category, and in light shade you should now see the Ralink wifi adapter listed.  If you click on the driver tab, you should see that the W10 driver is installed...5.0.57.0

You could try right clicking on the device, select uninstall, check the uninstall driver box, restart the PC, and see if Windows reinstalls the wifi adapter properly but I don't think it will work.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I believe your PC has a Ralink wifi adapter, and that is a common issue with those cards and W10.

There was one W10 wifi driver released for that model card when W10 first came out, but your PC most likely has the driver installed already.  version 5.0.57.0

On the newer builds of W10, one day they just disappear from the device manager, never to return.

There is no fix other than to purchase an external USB wifi adapter.

To confirm what I suspect is the issue, go to the device manager, click on the View tab at the top of the device manager window, and select the Show hidden devices option.

Then go back to the Network adapters device manager category, and in light shade you should now see the Ralink wifi adapter listed.  If you click on the driver tab, you should see that the W10 driver is installed...5.0.57.0

You could try right clicking on the device, select uninstall, check the uninstall driver box, restart the PC, and see if Windows reinstalls the wifi adapter properly but I don't think it will work.

HP Recommended

Paul_Tikkanen: 

I cannot thank you enough for responding to my question. Thank you for shedding light on the issue. 

After selecting "Show Hidden Devices" within "Device Manager" and opening "Network adapters", the Ralink Wi-Fi Adapter does not appear. But this is fine. Now that I know what the issue is, i will look into purchasing an external USB Wi-Fi adapter.

Again, thank you so much for responding so quickly.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is very odd that nothing at all shows up.

Even if the card had died or needed to be reseated, its (ghost) should have shown up once indicating it had been previously installed.

In any event, purchasing a USB wifi adapter of your choice will fix the issue.

There are so many variations to choose from.  You may want to upgrade to a dual band wireless AC adapter.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.