Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I've had several computers over the years, most of which that did not come with built-in wifi capabilities. So, I have used a USB antenna to connect wirelessly to my router/modem. The router/modem is a Novatel T-1114 on the Verizon 4G LTE network.

Past computers have either been Dell or HP. I recently made the switch to Windows 10 a few months ago on a Dell with Win 10, but with Intel i5 processor and HDD. My latest puter is a HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF Core i7-4790 3.60GHz 16GB 160GB SSD & 1TB HDD W10 Pro. Have been able to get connected using an ethernet cable, but even that is much slower than the Dell i5 using the USB antenna.

As for the USB antenna, it works in every single PC EXCEPT this HP ProDesk 600. When I go into Network Adapter Options, the wifi keeps appearing and disappearing. This seems to be a recurring theme on many HP computers, especially laptops. The USB antenna is an IdeaWorks Long Distance WiFi Antenna. I've gotten the most up-to-date drivers, have installed and re-installed many times, and have even gone as far as to reset windows. I'm at a loss!!

Now for a strange addition -- I "have" been able to get a stable wifi connection on the ProDesk 600, but ONLY using a tiny little Etekcity Wireless USB Adapter 150Mbps. It's slow.......REAL slow. I also have another USB antenna that I don't care for because it won't save my router password, but it won't work on the ProDesk either.

Just seems really strange that the smallest and slowest wifi dongle works, but the larger antenna's that I've always relied on won't work on this PC. Also, I have 2 of the Ideaworks antenna's, and they both work on ALL other computers, but not the ProDesk. PLEASE HELP!!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I strongly doubt the issue is with the computer. I used to have problems with TP-Link USB modems. They kept appearing and disappearing too. I would advise you to get a PCI network adapter. That way, you will be guaranteed that your adapter gets adequate power and will rarely give you problems.

Bsc. Information Systems dropout, Bsc. Computer Science (starting September 2019)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.