Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE h8-1040 Deskto
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I had a clossal boot failure of Windows 10 not long aggo and since I was not able to get into Windows 10 to do a reset - I reached for an OEM Win 7 install disk I'd had almost 2 years.

The install went great but when trying to access the internet from Comcast I learned that I needed a driver. 

I downloaded the driver only to sadly learn that it seems I cannot use this driver since I am on a wired (hard) connection. Also this layout is totally foreign to me since another of my computers (not an HP) is easy as pie to work with.

What I  need to know is this: Can this driver work with a wired connection and not wireless or is there another driver available that will work?

The computer functioned flawlessly with my original Win 7 64 bit O/S and with Windows 10 until the failure.

Any help will be appreciated since if I can't connect to the net then this 74 year old man is very much out of luck and has wasted an install and could wind up with an expensive paper-weight !!!

Additionally - - - WHY didn't the driver be installed when I was installing Win 7? Other installs on different computers have never had this problem! 

win7

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Well the good news is the ethernet chip isn't dead.  The hardware ID you posted confirms that it is the Realtek gigabit ethernet controller that needs the driver installed.

Why the driver from your PC's support page doesn't work is beyond me.

So...try the one directly from Realtek.

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the 2nd item (W7) listed on the webpage.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the product specs for your PC, the ethernet adapter is the Realtek RTL8111E gigabit ethernet controller.

You would need this driver for that ethernet adapter.

This package provides the original driver for the Realtek PCIe Family network controller solutions in supported models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp53501-54000/sp53707.exe

HP Recommended

I downloaded the driver you listed but still I see nothing but wireless connections. I have no need or wish to use wireless. I know originally with the win 7 64 bit the computer came with and even the Windows 10 I had that I had a hard connection with my modem. I still cannot see how in the world I can manage a connection with this type.

I am sorry to be such a pest but this computer is my backup to another (non HP) computer which is even older than my HP.

please advise ! 

Custodian

USN/RET

HP Recommended

Do you see a device listed in the device manager labeled as an Ethernet Controller?

A device listed as an ethernet controller means the driver is not installed.

If you do, please post the hardware ID for the ethernet controller.

To find the hardware ID, go to the device manager and click on the device labeled as an ethernet controller.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the ethernet controller window.

Now you will see a Property drop down list and it will be set to Device Description.

Drop down on that list and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's)

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

If you do not see an ethernet controller device listed in the device manager, then there should be a Realtek gigabit ethernet controller listed under the Network Adapters device manager category.

If you see a Realtek ethernet controller listed there, then the driver is properly installed and I wouldn't be able to help you with getting the ethernet adapter to work.

If you see neither of those things listed, then most likely the ethernet controller chip on the motherboard has failed.

Paul

USCG/RET

HP Recommended

Do you see a device listed in the device manager labeled as an Ethernet Controller?

Yes

2. If you do, please post the hardware ID for the ethernet controller.

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_2AB5103C&REV_06
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_2AB5103C
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_0200

3. Is this the information that you need? If not please tell me again and I will try to comply as soon as possible. 

4.  So far it looks like nothing has failed, I hope! I am way out of my league on things like this. I've been using a computer about 19 - 20 years and back then I could no htings like dial-up netwrking all day long. This stuff now days is simply beyond me! ;-(

Thanks - - - 

Custodian

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Well the good news is the ethernet chip isn't dead.  The hardware ID you posted confirms that it is the Realtek gigabit ethernet controller that needs the driver installed.

Why the driver from your PC's support page doesn't work is beyond me.

So...try the one directly from Realtek.

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the 2nd item (W7) listed on the webpage.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

HP Recommended

I have downloaded and unzipped it - alot of things in it - sheesh! I gather I click on the one that says "setup" (Application)

Just checking to make sure - I don't want to mess this up since I've come so far now ! 

Custodian

HP Recommended

Yes, that is the file you want to click on.

HP Recommended

I have installed the driver - now what do I do ?

Custodian

HP Recommended

Now go to the device manager and see if the ethernet controller device is gone, and now a Realtek ethernet adapter shows up under the Network Adapters device manager category.

If it does, then you should be able to connect to the internet after restarting the PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.