Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The arrow on my computer screen will not move. Its clicks just fine but when I go to move the arrow. Nothing happens

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @aking1,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the mouse pointer won't move on the screen. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model of the notebook? Please use this link to help you find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Did you make any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Did you check if there is a light/dot on the top left corner of the touchpad? Is it ON/OFF

When was the last time it worked?

Have you tried to connect an external USB mouse and check if the cursor moves on the screen?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Synaptics is the software/driver that is meant for the touchpad to work correctly. I would like to know if there is a light/dot on the top left corner of the touchpad, it is actually a button to turn the touchpad off/on. If the light is ON, tap it couple times for the light to turn off and the touchpad should respond correctly. 

Alternately, recommend you to install and run HP Support Assistant to check for driver updates for your computer. 

I would suggest here is to update the Bios, Chipset and touchpad drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.