Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 520-520 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to connect a Bluetooth device (external speaker) to my Pavilion desktop 500-520qe (K6V69AV) running Windows 10 64 bit.

When I go to Settings > Bluetooth & other devices > + Add Bluetooth or other devices, I see various devices but no On/Off switch for any of them.  When I make my speaker pairable, it does not show up in the list of devices.

I'm not sure whether or not my PC came with Bluetooth capability.  If not, I probably need to plug in a USB Bluetooth Adapter.  Do I need a Bluetooth driver?  If so, which specific one, and where on the HP website can I download it?

I presently have a USB Adapter plugged in to the PC for use with a Logitech wireless mouse, but that doesn't help with my Bluetooth concerns.

The online User Guide reads:

Connecting Bluetooth devices

Before you can use a Bluetooth device, you must establish a Bluetooth connection.

1. Type bluetooth in the taskbar search box, and then select Bluetooth and other devices settings.

2. Turn on Bluetooth, if it is not already turned on.

3. Select your device from the list, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

NOTE: If the device requires verification, a pairing code is displayed. On the device you are adding, follow the on-screen instructions to verify that the code on your device matches the pairing code. For more information, refer to the documentation provided with the device.

NOTE: If your device does not appear in the list, be sure that Bluetooth on that device is turned on. Some devices may have additional requirements; refer to the documentation provided with the device.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You are correct.  The Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter is just a wifi card without bluetooth.

The problem you are going to most likely find when you open the PC, is that there is only one antenna inside that is connected to the Realtek wifi card.

That prevents you from upgrading to the Intel card you posted because all dual band cards need two antennas attached to them, or they will not work, or work badly.

So, first determine if there are two antennas inside the PC you can connect to a better wifi card.

If there are, then these are the two I recommend...

If you have or plan to get an AC router...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0                 HP Part #710661-001

If you only have a dual band wireless N router and don't plan on replacing it anytime soon...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260AN 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi + BT4.0    HP Part # 717381-001

Either card is readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

If there is only one wifi antenna, and you want a wifi card with internal bluetooth, then you can get this one...

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11bgn 1×1 + BT 4 LE Combo Adapter                 HP Part # 753077-001

Again, check Amazon or eBay, searching by the part number.

Otherwise you can always purchase an external USB bluetooth adapter.

I use this one on one of my HP business desktop PC's.  I actually tested mine on W10, with a bluetooth speaker and it worked just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTD-400-Bluetooth-4-0-USB/dp/B007Q45EF4

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

What model wireless network adapter does your PC have?

That would determine if your PC has built in bluetooth or not, as some wifi cards have bluetooth and some don't.

If you don't know what model wifi adapter your PC has, go to the device manager, click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category, and there you will find the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding Paul.

Manufacturer:  Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Description:  Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter

Driver version:  2023.54.331.2017

Driver Date:  03 May 2017
Physical address (MAC): ‎C4-8E-8F-C5-66-49

Manufacturer:  Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Description:  Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Ethernet Network Adapter??)

Driver version:  10.1.505.2015

Driver Date:  05 May 2015

My Googling SEEMS to indicate that the Wi-Fi adapter may not be capable of dealing with Bluetooth.  Do you agree?  If so, could my PC accept an alternate card that functions for both W-Fi and Bluetooth?

FYI

https://www.amazon.com/Realtek-RTL8188EE-80211-WiFi-709848-001/dp/B011JFX2C2

Would this do what I need and fit the existing slot?

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-7260-HMWG-R-Wireless-AC-Bluetooth-Mounting/dp/B00MV3N7UO/ref=pd_lpo_vtp...

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You are correct.  The Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter is just a wifi card without bluetooth.

The problem you are going to most likely find when you open the PC, is that there is only one antenna inside that is connected to the Realtek wifi card.

That prevents you from upgrading to the Intel card you posted because all dual band cards need two antennas attached to them, or they will not work, or work badly.

So, first determine if there are two antennas inside the PC you can connect to a better wifi card.

If there are, then these are the two I recommend...

If you have or plan to get an AC router...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0                 HP Part #710661-001

If you only have a dual band wireless N router and don't plan on replacing it anytime soon...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260AN 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi + BT4.0    HP Part # 717381-001

Either card is readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

If there is only one wifi antenna, and you want a wifi card with internal bluetooth, then you can get this one...

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11bgn 1×1 + BT 4 LE Combo Adapter                 HP Part # 753077-001

Again, check Amazon or eBay, searching by the part number.

Otherwise you can always purchase an external USB bluetooth adapter.

I use this one on one of my HP business desktop PC's.  I actually tested mine on W10, with a bluetooth speaker and it worked just fine.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

You're very welcome. 

........Otherwise you can always purchase an external USB bluetooth adapter. 

Thanks again for all the information.  My Bluetooth speaker needs are very basic.  So, if you think the external USB Bluetooth adapter will accomplish what I'm after, that screwdriver-less option seems the most reasonable.

I particularly like some of the User Q&As.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx3BYP1NFHZREQ0/ref=ask_al_aap_hza?_encoding=UTF8&sort=helpful 

HP Recommended

Whoops!  I forgot to ask.

Since I see no Bluetooth driver on my PC, do I need to install a driver for that USB Bluetooth adapter to communicate with my speaker?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, the model I posted should work just fine for running bluetooth speakers.

Soon after you plug it into a USB port, Windows 10 will automatically install the drivers for it, because it uses the very common Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 chip used on many of these type of bluetooth adapters.

HP Recommended

Great.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

I just received my Bluetooth USB Adapter and it works perfectly.  Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.