Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario SR5550f
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi 

YOUR EXPERTISE IS NEEDED! PLEASE HELP ME FROM PULLING ALL MY HAIR OUT! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I am rebuilding an old PC for a customer of mine. I'm more of a Mac guy, and for reasons like this (ha!)

Customer wanted Windows XP (Or Vista) to be loaded. PC came loaded (used) with Windows 7 installed. 

Wiped the hard drive, installed Windows XP Pro 32-bit (Service Pack 2) from an old CD I had with product key.

went smoothly, set up rather quickly. No internet connection present, even with an Ethernet cable plugged in.

in Device Manager, the 1394 Network Adapter shows as working and drivers installed - but i have learned this the FireWire port and not the actual Network Card or Ethernet adapter...

Yellow with errors (missing drivers) in Device Manager are (along with the listed Device Instance ID): 

*Parent Directory: "Other Devices"

*Device: "PCI Device" PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03F0&SUBSYS_2A6C103C&REV_A2\3&2411E6FE&0&28

*Device: "PCI Simple Communications Controller" PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2F20&SUBSYS_200C14F1&REV_00\4&72ACDAA&0&5020

*Device: "SM Bus Controller" 

Device: "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03EB&SUBSYS_2A6C103C&REV_A2\3&2411E6FE&0&09

*** When i choose "show hidden devices", it also shows a yellow warning icon next to "Serial", under "Non-Plug and Play Device". Serial Properties > Device Instance ID: ROOT\LEGACY_SERIAL\0000

==> NOTES TO CONSIDER:

* Time keeps changing when I turn the computer off and set it again when I turn it back on – bad CMOS battery? could this have anything to do with the internet issue or drivers missing? Or is that a separate issue?

* HARDWARE & SOFTWARE DETAILS:

COMPAQ PRESARIO SR5550f Desktop:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ 2.81GHz

3.37GB RAM readable (4GB RAM installed)

500GB Hard Drive

DVD/CD drive (Lightscribe)

Windows XP Professional 32-Bit Version 2002, Service Pack 2 

***** SO please let me know if you need any other info, including the Hardware IDs listed in Device Manager for each missing drive (I supplied the Device Instance IDs above)... 

Again, this customer wants Windows XP or Vista, and I had the XP disk on me already, which is why i went this route... if anyone has access to the right drivers or can guide me to them, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. 

Thanks so much! I have been scouring the internet for hours and hours for the past 2 days and it's time for me to post this and reach out for help from the pros.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

This Nvidia driver should install a couple of those devices.

Install and restart the PC

NVIDIA DRIVERS nForce Driver Version 15.26 WHQL

Graphics:

NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce 307.83 Driver WHQL

The PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2F20&SUBSYS_200C14F1 device is the Conexant modem.

I can't find a driver for that very easy like I could the others. 

I suggest you google the hardware ID and see what turns up.

Microsoft discontinued Windows Update for XP and Vista last July, so you can't even get any updates that way.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

This Nvidia driver should install a couple of those devices.

Install and restart the PC

NVIDIA DRIVERS nForce Driver Version 15.26 WHQL

Graphics:

NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce 307.83 Driver WHQL

The PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2F20&SUBSYS_200C14F1 device is the Conexant modem.

I can't find a driver for that very easy like I could the others. 

I suggest you google the hardware ID and see what turns up.

Microsoft discontinued Windows Update for XP and Vista last July, so you can't even get any updates that way.

HP Recommended

thanks so much!

for anyone else having this issue, i ended up finding the right drivers by searching with the [compaq product number] + “LAN driver” and located the nvidia chipset drivers + broadcom LAN driver, real tech audio driver, and a few more.

it actually brought me to a page for a slightly different compaq model number, but the drivers worked like a charm and i can finally get online, along with hear sound etc.

thanks to this community and thank you Paul for helping when i had almost given up! 

t

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.