Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion P7-1226s Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello Community,

I am having internet connectivity problems with my HP Pavilion p7-1226s Desktop PC. I recently moved my office PC to my house after it stopped working while I've been remote logged in for a few days. The black and white window asked me to run windows recovery and everything is fine, except for the internet connection.

I've followed several message boards and the instructions found here (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02543015) to no avail.

My home network does not appear in the list of networks when I click the WIFi button in the tray. The network hardware (802.11n Wireless LAN Card, Ralink Technology, Corp. AND Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter) are enabled and their statuses are "This device is working properly." The Ralink card's "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option is not checked, I've updated and reinstalled the drivers, I've tried to add the wireless network in the "Wireless Network Connection" window, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the "Client for Microsoft Networks" for the card, and a few other things but none of these worked. 

This is a desktop and many of the responses online are for laptops with HP mobile assist, a physical Wifi switch, and an F10 option. There is also no option under the file window of the BIOS menu for enabling Wifi as another user suggested.

Any help is appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@PCHelp1 wrote:

.... My home network does not appear in the list of networks when I click the WIFi button in the tray. ...

@PCHelp1 

Your machine is around  7 or 8 years old and it does NOT support 5.0GHz network. Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c03152250

Now, the simplest way to fix is to allow your router to broadcast both (dual) bands which are 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz. Your PC will pick up 2.4GHz network.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello Banhien,

Thank you for your reply. I have a Linksys EA9300 router, I tried messing with the configuration settings so that there would be a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz1 + 5 GHz2 Wi-Fi network. I tried setting the "Network" mode of the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi to be Mixed, [802.11n Only], and 802.11g Only, but none of these worked as well.

HP Recommended

Time to become a detective on this wireless connectivity subject.  I always examine where I have been in regards to the problem to determine if I or maybe someone else has done some tinkering with said PC.  You said you did a system recovery for some reason and were there any other things that have been done, like BIOS updates or hardware updates.   Does the wireless adapter have a antenna that has become loose or broken? Like the other person said maybe the adapter has given up on you, I. have seen this in the past with add-in cards.  I too am experiencing networking issues relates to BIOS updates right now.  

How about trying the button on the router which i think allows for easier connections(my dell laptop has a button on the side as well as a switch to turn off wi-fi.  I recently plugged in to ethernet and i turned off wi-fi and man did i have a hard time reconnecting to Wi-Fi........

Lastly, what about opening a browser and leave off the s in the http()://www.example.com some browsers security (the "s" in the url) will block attempts to connect to the Wi-Fi hot-spot for your protection.  

Cheers..

Keep your fingers in the PIE
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.