Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi there - same problem with my laptop about 4 weeks ago.  Internet working when connected to Wired LAN but that doesn't help when needing to take laptop away with me 🙂  Wireless button stays amber and is not reactive.  I don't update my computer if I can help it as I need to use old software that works better on older op system, but I am thinking that something has managed to sneak through.  Updating to last restore point hasn't worked.  Details as follows :-

HP Probook 470 G1

x64

Running Windows 7 Professional

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Kind regards,

Julie

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Julie,

What is the product number of your notebook?

You can find that in the BIOS system information section. You may also find the identification (FCC ID) of the installed wifi adapter on the bottom of your notebook in incredibly small print. 

Open the Device Manager to see if there is a driver installer for your wifi adapter. If there is a driver already installed, then installing the following HP wifi button driver should resolve your issue.

The  Windows 7 64-bit HP wifi button driver for your notebook.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-probook-470-g1-notebook-pc/5405414/swI...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico

Product number is F3K32PA#ABG

I spoke with an HP tech last week (chat).  No driver installed (totally disappeared) and they wouldn't actually install when we tried.

I believe he has arranged for a tech to come out and fix?  I presume I'm waiting for an email or a phone call from someone.  Sounds like a hardware issue.

Thanks,

Julie

HP Recommended

A failed wifi adapter is indeed the most likely culprit.

I had to send in my daughter's consumer grade HP notebook last year to HP for the same symptoms you describe.

My troubleshooting isolated the issue down to a failed wifi adapter.

The UEFI PC Hardware Diagnostics  in the notebook couldn't even find an installed adapter.

The HP Service Center replaced the wifi adapter and there has not been a problem with wifi since. 

That gives me a happy fifteen year old. 🙂

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico

An HP Tech turned up out of the blue to fix my laptop a couple of days later - I didn't know they were coming and had already left to visit a client.  He assured me he would put me back on the list, and that someone would email me with a time, etc, etc.  Since then, this Tech has left the company ... still waiting.  Awesome service, just wish I had been at home to get it fixed LOL.  Will ring them when I can ... hopefully all is still okay to be fixed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.