Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 290-p0056 desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been getting disconnects with my RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe adaptor. I'm aware that Realtek is having issues with it, thanks to @Paul_Tikkanen. I've done the usual things to attempt to resolve it. I want to share two things I noticed that are odd.

My wifi driver is the latest available for my system (1803) from the Microsoft Update Catalog, dated 4/12/2019 version 2024.0.9.101. My router firmware is also the latest available.

netsh wlan show drivers says "Radio types supported: 802.11n 802.11g 802.11b 802.11ac 802.11n 802.11a"

netsh wlan show interfaces says "Radio type: 802.11n"

Two questions. First, why does netsh wlan show drivers list 802.11n twice? It didn't do that before.

Second, the advanced wireless properties for my network adapter in Device Manager only offers 802.11 a b & g for Wireless Mode. There is no choice for 802.11 n.

A friend has the exact same desktop and WiFi adaptor. He is using an older driver from last year, and his DOES list Wireless N as a choice. So it is obviously the driver that decides the choices there. Thoughts? Is this what Realtek has messed up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi;

Realtek has just released yet another driver update for that wifi adapter on the Microsoft update catalog website.

You may want to try the latest one...Use the manual install method like you did the last time...I zipped it up and attached it below.

06/05/2019,2024.0.8.108

I can't answer any of your other questions.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi;

Realtek has just released yet another driver update for that wifi adapter on the Microsoft update catalog website.

You may want to try the latest one...Use the manual install method like you did the last time...I zipped it up and attached it below.

06/05/2019,2024.0.8.108

I can't answer any of your other questions.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen, thanks for the fast response.

I didn't think that one was for me because I have 1803. I was only looking for 1803. I think you are right though. I will try it.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If that driver update doesn't help, Realtek released an older driver to HP...a one size fits all driver...this is for all of the below model wifi adapters.

This package contains the DCHU driver installation package for the Realtek RTL8188EE, RTL8723BE, RTL8723DE, RTL8821CE, and RTL8822BE wireless LAN Controller in the supported notebook and desktop models running a supported Microsoft Windows 10 or Windows 10 Cloud operating systems.

2024.0.8.103       Apr 24, 2019

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp95501-96000/sp95797.exe

Fix and enhancements:
- Fixes an issue on a system running in DC mode where the wireless LAN disconnects unexpectedly .
- Fixes an issue on a system running in DC mode where the WiFi scan list displays the message no internet, secured.
- Provides support for Windows 10 v1809.
- Provides support for Windows 10 v19H1.
- Reduces the time required for the system power on (boot).

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen,

I installed the first one you suggested. We will see how that goes. It still has the two odd things I mentioned in my first post. I can't choose 802.11 n for Wireless Mode in the adaptor advanced settings.

I will see how things go with this new driver. If it doesn't work, I will try your second suggestion.

Thanks so much for your time.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

I wouldn't be concerned with the advanced settings unless the connection speeds don't jibe.

On the 2.4 GHz wifi band, that adapter should be connecting at 72 MBPS with an excellent signal.

That is the maximum wireless N speed that card can achieve on the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

On the 5.0 GHz band with an AC router, that card should be connecting at 433 MBPS with an excellent signal.

Connection speed is not download speed.

To check the connection speed, go to the windows control panel>network and internet>network and sharing center>on the right side of the View your active networks section (where you see your wireless connection green signal strength meter), click on that, and it will show you the connection speed.

HP Recommended

It is showing 72 MBPS. So it is using Wireless N (2.4 GHz). That is good to kinow. I was afraid it might be using 802.11 g.

Thank you again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is correct.

What do you get on the 5.0 GHz wifi band?

HP Recommended

Hi Paul.

I had never used the 5 GHz band before, but you got me to try it.

I'm getting 120 MBPS with 5 GHz with 802.11 n.  So I guess I should stick with 5 GHz 😃

HP Recommended

Now it is 150 MBPS. I didn't change anything.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.