Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Why is there a red X on the internet connection icon that is on the bottom task bar.  I am able to access the internet without any problems

I'm using an HP s5310f, Windows 7, IE8 and Norton 2010

boong
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

boongsong wrote: When I uninstalled the dirver, it deleted all of my ISP access info (TCP/IP). We had to go into the local area connection page and access the TCP/IP window and re-enter all info. That got me back up and running.

What I was told is: when the driver was installed, all necessary infi went with it. However, if I had been using a router, it would have stored the info and would have entered it when I rebooted.Just thought I'd pass this tidbit in case anyone else encountere

Hello boongsong, Sorry you had the TCP/IP issue. A great many users have a router connected to the computer network system. As you suggest, the router would have picked up on the network card and assigned a new IP address behind the router firewall.

If you happen to run into this in the future, you can resolve this by using this procedure.

Click on the Start orb, and in the run box, type cmd and press the enter key. This should get you a black screen with a DOS prompt. At the DOS prompt, type ipconfig /all  and press enter.  You should see some text appear on the screen that shows the network/IP settings. After the text entries stop and becomes stable, then type exit and press the enter key. The IP settings should then be re-assigned for your network. This should allow you to update all the network settings without the need to enter the settings manually.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

boong,

Your PC is experiencing some boot delays about the time the network driver is being loaded and trying to connect to the internet.  You might try going into Device Manager ---> Network Adapters and uninstall the driver. Then reboot and Windows will reinstall the network driver.  Try this first and if it doesn't solve the problem then we''ll have to look deeper into the issue.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

boongsong wrote:Why is there a red X on the internet connection icon that is on the bottom task bar.  I am able to access the internet without any problems I'm using an HP s5310f, Windows 7, IE8 and Norton 2010

Hello boongsong, You might try this procedure and see if this resolves the issue.

Go to Start , Run, and in the run box type cmd

Then copy and paste the following line in the run box: Net localgroup Administrators localservice /add     and press the Enter  key.

Then reboot your computer.

HP Recommended

Thanks Big Dave. Will do. Been having a few other problems also but am working with Tech Spt on those. Will advise how I come out on your suggestion.

boong
HP Recommended

Thanks Hanspuppa. Did what you said. Problem solved.  Appreciate your expertise.

boong
HP Recommended

Hi Dave. Need to give you a follow-up on your suggestion to uninstall driver.

I did that and ended-up not being able to access the internet for 2 1/2 days.

This morning (1/24) contacted my ISP Tech Spt and they identified the problem.

When I uninstalled the dirver, it deleted all of my ISP access info (TCP/IP). We had to go into the local area connection page and access the TCP/IP window and re-enter all info. That got me back up and running.

What I was told is: when the driver was installed, all necessary infi went with it. However, if I had been using a router, it would have stored the info and would have entered it when I rebooted.Just thought I'd pass this tidbit in case anyone else encountere

boong
HP Recommended

boongsong wrote: When I uninstalled the dirver, it deleted all of my ISP access info (TCP/IP). We had to go into the local area connection page and access the TCP/IP window and re-enter all info. That got me back up and running.

Hello boongsong, Sorry you had the TCP/IP issue. A great many users have a router connected to the computer network system. As you suggest, the router would have picked up on the network card and assigned a new IP address behind the router firewall.

If you happen to run into this in the future, you can resolve this by using this procedure.

Click on the Start orb, and in the run box, type cmd and press the enter key. This should get you a black screen with a DOS prompt. At the DOS prompt, type ipconfig /all  and press enter.  You should see some text appear on the screen that shows the network/IP settings. After the text entries stop and becomes stable, then type exit and press the enter key. The IP settings should then be re-assigned for your network. This should allow you to update all the network settings without the need to enter the settings manually.

HP Recommended

Thanks Hanspuppa. I'm going to print your reply so I have it for future reference. Sure wish I'd had that info last week. I was going through withdrawal (LOL).

Again, thanks.

boong
HP Recommended

THIS WORKED BRILL AND PASS IT ON TO OTHERS WHO HAVE THE SAME ISSUE

BEERMAN

HP Recommended

Please excuse, but I am still confused. I still have the red x. How is this procedure helping. Note- I am a novice and may be missing something. Thanks for the help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.