Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 300-019 Mini Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently upgraded my internet service to Gigabit speed. On the other PC's on my network I get download speeds of up to 940 Mbps. I use Cat 6 cabling for all devices connected directly to the Cable modem ports.

For some reason my HP 300-019 mini desktop only gets around half of this speed. Usually it comes in around 400 Mbps. It uses a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Ethernet Controller (10/100/1000Mbps)

Prior to this my Internet service coming in was 500 Mbps, so I never noticed this PC was slower than the rest. Now I have the gigabit service, this mini pc is not keeping up.

I use speedtest.net to check my download speeds.

Here is what I have done to troubleshoot without any success:

1. Connected same cat6 to another from modem to another computer I know downloads fast. 
  2. Tried with new cat 6 cable.
  3. Removed and reinstalled the network drivers
  4. Checked for updated network drivers
  5. Disabled then enabled network adapter
  6. Used Windows 10 network diagnostics 
  7. Used RougeKiller to scan for malware
  8. Used CCleaner to clean registry and delete redundant files

Does anyone have any ideas of what may be preventing me from higher download speeds and how to fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@darrensweeney

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I appreciate the details and considering the information you've provided so far,

I recommend you Contact HP to set up a repair / replacement order:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@darrensweeney

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you have issues with slow Ethernet connection,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you attempted to update the network adapter & BIOS?

(Click here to find and install it, if you haven't done it yet)

While you respond to that, here's a few reasons why the ethernet could be slow and what you could do to resolve it:

Step 1: Detecting and removing spyware and adware

If the computer becomes slow after connecting to the Internet, or your home page changes to a page you do not want, or unwanted desktop links appear, or advertising windows pop up repeatedly, then the computer probably has spyware or adware installed. Spyware and adware can be very difficult to remove manually. For more information about spyware and how to remove spyware from the computer, refer to Computer Might Be Infected by a Virus or Malware (Windows 10, 😎.

Step 2: Scanning for and removing viruses

Many viruses use an Internet connection when a browser window is opened and can cause the computer to slow down or stop responding. For more information about how to scan and remove viruses, refer to Computer Might Be Infected by a Virus or Malware (Windows 10, 😎.

NOTE:

After scanning and removing spyware and viruses, run Windows Update to update your computer.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you for your suggestions, I have reviewed them and applied what I could but my situation has not changed.

How can I verify my network adapter can receive speeds of 400 - 500 Mbsp other than by testing my internet service? Because accornding to speedtest.net my speed never goes past this.

Do you have any other troubleshooting suggestions for me to try not listed yet? 

HP Recommended

@darrensweeney

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As a matter of fact I do have a few more suggestions to help your cause,

Before we get into the details though, I'd like to know if you have another PC or laptop you can use to test the wired connection (Ethernet) to Internet speed?
Also, Is PC adjacent to router modem?

I must let you know that a long Ethernet cable is subject to interference

from adjacent power cable may cause slowdown.

Perhaps, you could try with a shorter Ethernet cable or an alternate cable to resolve the issue.

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher,

I have connected a laptop and a desktop via the same etthernet cable to the modem and have obtaied 900+ Mbps speeds. I have connected this same ethernet cable to my Pavilion 300-019 Mini Desktop and the speed has been slower (about half)

Yes the  Pavilion 300-019 Mini Desktop is adjacent to the modem.

I do not think the ethernet cable has any interfereince.

HP Recommended

@darrensweeney

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I appreciate the details and considering the information you've provided so far,

I recommend you Contact HP to set up a repair / replacement order:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My DV7 is out of warranty.  It has a GB wired connection through proper cables to my router to my cable box.  I get 300 mbps service.  On one PC I show the full 300 download.  On this laptop, when I run a standard speed test, it starts at 200 and then drops - quickly, as low as 50 mbps.  I do somewhat better on an old N wifi adaptor (I'd try my AC adaptor but right now its lost).  It seems like the built in wired ethernet adaptor has a problem.

The laptop has USB3 ports.  I 7, hybrid graphics.  Win 10 Home, up to date, A/V active, no malware found, IOTW a well maintained PC.  No sign of any problem with my home network.  This ethernet throughput is bloody awful.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue on a brand new HP Power 15t with the 1050 video card - an expensive laptop.. I'm trying to copy files and it shows me the speeds, so I see that it goes up to about 25k - 30k then after about 30 seconds it starts crashing down to 10k. After letting it run a while it seems to say around 9KBs (kilobytes) but now a few minutes later it says 12KBS. No idea what is going on, but I've used the same remote control program on all my machines in the house. There is nothing wrong with the ethernet, network, or the program used to copy the data. It's the laptop. I already did a fresh factory restore also.

I thought maybe the slow drive was causing the problem - even after I ran a benchmark and it said the drive was performing BETTER than most other drives of the same model, so i went to the effort to buy the SSD addon and install it but nothing has changed. I think with the old drive I was seeing 5-6KBS but with the SSD it's getting 10-12KBS.

And the standard 1TB HD was incredibly slow too, can't even believe they bother selling laptops like this nowadays.

HP Recommended

One thing I've found from the 3 HP PC's I have - 2 laptops and one mini tower, for their respective times, there were much slower and incapable then ever expected, and carefully designed to limit improvements.  For the mini tower, the PSU was customized for HP to be very hard to replace if it fails or it's too small.  The video card that came with it was supposed to be a wiz at digitizing video - it was barely good at video display and useless for digitizing.  Mobo was designed for ram upgrades but modified to prevent them.

The older laptop was very ram limited.  The new one not so much but it has a white list in the BIOS to force you to only use the very low end wifi card the junker came with.  If you change it, the pc won't boot.  The included hybrid video - both Intel on chip and ATI - but the most up to date video drivers predated the release of that model.  And you couldn't go to the vendors for the modified drivers.    And in general, with 16gb, 4 core I7 plus hyper thread, is still incredibly slow, typically runs hot (poor ventilation) just for normal day to day use.  And part of that is very poor ethernet performance.  Wifi tends to be faster.

HP Recommended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzrYRcTxcyI

This has fix my issues with internet. Resetting the network setting on my WIndows 10. My ethernet was only giving me 9 upload and about the 9 download speed. However when I'm on wifi my upload is 200 and high as well for download... I try to search everything under the moon to fix my speed. Finally a simple reset network settings and restarting my computer fix the issue. Good luck

Windows 10: Quickly reset an Ethernet (wired) network adapter to fix slow connection speeds, unidentified network error, the device isn't connecting to the internet, or any other problem. ✅ Newer video 👉 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsOmUXofyZg Table of contents: 00:00 Intro 00:47 Fix Ethernet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.