Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1226s Desktop PC Product # QW753AA Released 9-Jan-2012
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings!

I know this is a very old desktop but as an old VN Veteran it's my best link with the outside world so here goes.....

I finally got a high speed internet link with dual speeds both 2.4 GHz and 5.1 GHz but i can't seem to get more than 150 Mbps when I'm billed for 650 Mbps. I have called Comcast/Xfinity until I'm blue in the face and they tell me it's not them and it's my computer. After looking at the HP computer spec book they just may be right. Here is some of what it shows me:

Motherboard - IPISB-CU (Carmel2) - Chipset - Intel H61 - Processor Socket type: LGA 1155

Processor - Intel Core i3 2130 - Operating speed Up to 3.4 GHz 

Expansion sluts: 1 PCI Express X 16  -  3 PCI Express X1  -  1 PCI Express Mini Card X 1

Networking: 802.11 Wireless b/g/n PCI-E Mini card

* PCI-e half-length mini card

* Data transfer speeds: up to 150Mbps

* Transmission Standards 802.11b/g/n

* Antenna connections 1

* Operating Band 2.4 GHz

LAN: 1000-Base-T - Integrated into motherboard

* Technology: RTL8171EH-CG gigabit ethernet controller

* Data Transfer speeds: up to 10/100/1000 Mb/s

Well that's my sorry story and all the information I can gather up. If you can tell me what I need to do and what I have to buy, I'm pretty sure I can install it. I fixed my AC 130 Gunship "Spooky" with a coat hanger and duct tape once and made it back to base so I don't think this kind of installation can be all that difficult. Getting it to work after it's installed is another story...

Anything you can do to help me speed this computer up would be very much appreciated   .

. Gary Kadow 2.jpg

PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & GOD BLESS AMERICA!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@gkadow 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c03152250

It has slow wifi card but it has normal fast/today standard wired connection. Since it is a desktop I think the best option is to use cable which is much faster than 5.0GHz in many cases. You may want to use a CAT6 cable to get better transfer rates.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@gkadow 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c03152250

It has slow wifi card but it has normal fast/today standard wired connection. Since it is a desktop I think the best option is to use cable which is much faster than 5.0GHz in many cases. You may want to use a CAT6 cable to get better transfer rates.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Mate,

CAT6 doesn't give you better speeds, it just has better shielding from interference.

Yes - You have a gigabit ethernet port - if running an ethernet cable is a feasible option, then I would suggest that. It's more stable and consistent than wifi anyway.

If you can't do ethernet, then have a look on ebay, or another retailer for a WiFi USB adapter, dual band with AC speeds. Here's an example of a reputable brand:

NETGEAR AC1200 A6210 Dual Band High Gain USB Wireless WiFi Adapter Card 802.11AC

Or - You can also buy a PCIe Wifi Card such as this:

https://www.umart.com.au/MSI-HERALD-AC-Intel-AC-8265-WiFi-Card_40755G.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwarsgfi...

The USB wifi card will be the easiest - Just plug 'n play. But the antenna's are limited, so if your router isn't that close, then the PCIe card might be better with the two external antennas.

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You could take a look at MoCA (Link) if you can't do a wired ethernet connection suggested by Banhien and WIFI coverage is spotty in your home.

You would need a reliable cable network in your home for MoCA to work correctly.

Or check out a Network Powerline Adapter (Link).

Regards

HP Recommended

I know that there was a message that said the new wires shouldn't make a difference but they did. I installed all new CAT 7 Ethernet wires and i went from 138 Mbps to 324 Mbps on download, and from 21 Mbps to 42 Mbps on upload. Don't ask me how but it is a vast improvement. That's with direct hard Ethernet line but my WIFI is still very slow which is likely because of the old WIFI Card I have in the Motherboard. It clearly says 2.4 GHz only with a maximum of 150 Mbps. I can get at the card but I have no idea if there is anything that will do 2.4 and 5.0. There is a PCI mini slot in the computer but that has the Ethernet cable plugged into it. 

Thanks for all your help.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.