Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6610f Desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion p6610f Desktop  Win 7 Home OS   64bit

July 9th, I had been using my Ethernet cable instead of my wireless (out of concern for hacking) for a couple weeks and had to disconnect from wireless each time I turned on PC.  After the power surge / black out (also Critical update), I noticed that I no longer had to disconnect, that I was just automatically connected to cable but wifi router still getting wireless.  Soon realized I could not connect to wireless with my PC any longer.
No matter what I tried I could not get wireless connection on my PC again.  Called Centurylink and went through all possible ways to connect but nothing worked.  She said it was my PC.
I downloaded the Original Drivers for my OS and when I tried to install the Original Ralink Wireless Networking Controller Driver (for 802.11n Wireless LAN card) I got a message that said: “Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update” Update canceled (9996)  So the original driver is called an update?  And my system doesn’t meet the requirements?
I checked the Device Manager and under Network Adapters, the only thing listed is the Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Under Network and Sharing it only offers broadband where it used to offer Wireless and nothing I do will allow me to set up a new wireless connection.    Also, my two front USB ports no longer work when I try to use them.

Not sure what to do, I thought I should do a backup and prepare for a Recovery and a reinstallation of the original OS as I thought perhaps the surge (though my computer has made it through those before with no problem) had destroyed something.  Can, it destroy the physical wireless device and if so the installation of new software will do no good?  Are there destroyed adapters?

Would installing a new harddrive help or is the wireless device on the motherboard? 

I do not know these things as I am still not quite tech savvy.  Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Open mind Pure intent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TY965

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

It looks like they are zeros, and that decodes to a battery/power supply failure,

Basically, the wireless card isn't receiving as much as power as it needs to run, or we have an issue with the battery and the wireless card as well: error 612 (please provide this to the HP support and they will replace the appropriate parts.

However, if you wish to replace the parts on your own, my personal suggestion would be to get a USB Wireless adapter,

as it would be a lot cheaper and hassle free compared to opening the computer apart and changing the internal parts.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@TY965

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand you are unable to Receive WiFi on Desktop after Power Surge or Critical Windows Update or both.

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Have you checked the device manager?

Is it available under wireless adapters?

If it isn't I recommend you run a hardware test using the HP hardware diagnostics tool: Click here for details.

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

this is a reply to Riddle_Decipher:  Yes, I think I mentioned in my original post that I checked the Device Manager and there aren't any "adapters" headings, but I checked under the Network heading and there is only the Realtek  PCIe Family Controller.

Thank you for the link to the Hardware Diagnostics.  That is what I was trying to figure out on my own is if I still had a wireless LAN Card.  When I was doing a backup of my files yesterday, I noticed when I was choosing which files I wanted to save for the backup, the Ralink Driver was listed, yet when I tried to download the original driver for my operating system and HP Desktop, it said it couldn't and the download was canceled.

I am going to check on the hardware now.  Thank you.

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

@TY965

Thank you for replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher:  I ran the hardware test through my BIOS Utility.  Used HP Support Assistant Network Check and Diagnostics, and it only says what we already know, "Problem with Network Connectivity" but no solutions.  I created a disc and ran the HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics and everything passed except one test under Network and the Internet.

Network Test  "Network Ping Test Failed" Network Card Ping Test Failure: 609612 4356   Type:   Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller.    Says to verify Network Connection/Network Card Configuration and Retest.  If the problem remains, copy failure Identifier Code and Contact HP Support.  Failure Identifier Code: OG8421-57S8N7-KRQ421-C4PLO3 (couldn't tell if those were Oh's or Zero's) 

Problem is, that is the Fast Ethernet Network Connection and that is the only way that I actually can connect to the internet now, so whatever connectivity problem that card has, it hasn't shown up at my house 🙂  
The other very sad fact is, that it appears that my computer and everything else thinks that I have never had wireless on this computer.  They can't detect a problem with it because they can't detect that I ever had anything wireless on here.  

My router is still working quite well and my printer and other devices are working wirelessly.

Shouldn't I have a physical wireless LAN card that I can inspect with my own eyes,?  And where would I find it and what if I just put a new one in and then uploaded the software and driver for it?  Would that work?

I see no trace of wireless anything in Network Sharing.  I don't have the option of trying to connect wirelessly, as it thinks my computer is not capable.  I think I told you that I did a  restore date back to July 1st, 2017, from the event date of July 9th, I thought that should be far enough backdated to get my computer back on track.  Just wishful thinking I guess.

I have tried to many things and I am about to lapse into hopelessness over this.   I was pretty sure that if I did a backup of my files and replaced the old one with a new hard drive, and uploaded the original Operating System Discs  to that hard drive, and then used my back ups to replace all the current programs and files, that it would somehow bring my wireless connectivity back.  But, it seems like the wireless adapter, not just the driver has succumbed to the Mandela Effect, and if my computer could talk, it would argue with me and say that the wireless adapter never existed at all.  

Can I replace the Wireless LAN Card or Adapter or whatever device was allowing me to connect wirelessly through my Centurylink Router?   Can I just go buy it and put it in and download the original driver from HP?

Sorry for rambling and being all over the place with this reply.  Thank you for your patience and any advice or magic trick you can pull out of the HP bag for me.

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher:  I ran the hardware test through my BIOS Utility.  Used HP Support Assistant Network Check and Diagnostics, and it only says what we already know, "Problem with Network Connectivity" but no solutions.  I created a disc and ran the HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics and everything passed except one test under Network and the Internet.

Network Test  "Network Ping Test Failed" Network Card Ping Test Failure: 609612 4356   Type:   Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller.    Says to verify Network Connection/Network Card Configuration and Retest.  If the problem remains, copy failure Identifier Code and Contact HP Support.  Failure Identifier Code: OG8421-57S8N7-KRQ421-C4PLO3 (couldn't tell if those were Oh's or Zeroes) 

Problem is, that is the Fast Ethernet Network Connection and that is the only way that I actually can connect to the internet now, so whatever connectivity problem that card has, it hasn't shown up at my house 🙂  
The other very sad fact is, that it appears that my computer and everything else thinks that I have never had wireless on this computer.  They can't detect a problem with it because they can't detect that I ever had anything wireless on here.  

My router is still working quite well and my printer and other devices are working wirelessly.

Shouldn't I have a physical wireless LAN card on my desktop that I can inspect with my own eyes,?  And where would I find it and what if I just put a new one in and then uploaded the software and driver for it?  Would that work?

I see no trace of wireless anything in Network Sharing.  I don't have the option of trying to connect wirelessly, as it thinks my computer is not capable.  I think I told you that I did a  restore date back to July 1st, 2017, from the event date of July 9th, I thought that should be far enough backdated to get my computer back on track.  Just wishful thinking I guess.

I have tried to many things and I am about to lapse into hopelessness over this.   I was pretty sure that if I did a backup of my files and replaced the old one with a new hard drive, and uploaded the original Operating System Discs  to that hard drive, and then used my back ups to replace all the current programs and files, that it would somehow bring my wireless connectivity back.  But, it seems like the wireless adapter, not just the driver has succumbed to the Mandela Effect, and if my computer could talk, it would argue with me and say that the wireless adapter never existed at all.  

Can I replace the Wireless LAN Card or Adapter or whatever device was allowing me to connect wirelessly through my Centurylink Router?    Can I just go buy it and put it in and download the original driver from HP?

Sorry for rambling and being all over the place with this reply.  Thank you for your patience and any advice or magic trick you can pull out of the HP bag for me.

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

@TY965

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

It looks like they are zeros, and that decodes to a battery/power supply failure,

Basically, the wireless card isn't receiving as much as power as it needs to run, or we have an issue with the battery and the wireless card as well: error 612 (please provide this to the HP support and they will replace the appropriate parts.

However, if you wish to replace the parts on your own, my personal suggestion would be to get a USB Wireless adapter,

as it would be a lot cheaper and hassle free compared to opening the computer apart and changing the internal parts.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.