Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a faster network adapter for the HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690, able to utilize 5g speeds?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter only has one antenna terminal to connect an antenna wire to and any other model Wifi card would require two antenna wires.

So, the next thing I need you to do is to open up the PC and see if HP has a second antenna wire available, or just the one.

From what I can tell from the antenna part number is that there is only one wire you can use.

HP PartSurfer

So...if that is the case, this is the kit I recommend for you...

Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) Desktop Kit Intel AX200 M.2 2230 Dual Band Wifi Card BT5.1 Window | eBay

I tried to find the least expensive kit I could that has the right Wi-Fi card part number (L35282-005) for an Intel AX 200 Wi-Fi 6 card, non vPro.

An Intel Wi-Fi 6 card must be a non-vPro model--especially in a PC with an AMD processor and chipset.

First uninstall the Realtek wifi adapter and Realtek Bluetooth adapter in the device manager and check the uninstall driver box.

Once that is done, shut down and unplug the PC and replace the Wi-Fi card.

What you do is to disconnect the antenna wire, and carefully place it so that the metal connector makes no contact with any metal parts (I'd see if you can wrap it around some other wires and zip tie it).

Then you remove the Realtek Wi-Fi card from the M.2 slot, replace it with the Intel card and run the antenna wires, so they don't interfere with anything, out to the PCI mounting bracket and attach the external antennas that come with the kit.

Now, if by chance your PC does have two antenna wires (which I doubt), then you just need to buy the card.

L35282-005: Search Result | eBay

Windows has the drivers for the Intel AX 200 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, so you don't need any right away.

Then you can update to the latest Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers directly from the Intel site.

Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 and Windows 11*

Specs on the Intel AX200:

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of your HP 690?

What model Wi-Fi adapter does your PC have installed now?

HP Recommended

I suspect you already have Wi-Fi 5 if you have 690-0073w

From the spec for that system

Wireless
802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2 M.2 combo

"A/C" is Wi-Fi 5

You might try selecting a better channel and 5ghz speed manually

[edit] @Paul_Tikkanen can probably find a better & faster WiFi adapter

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thank you for your kind reply; here is the information you requested: 

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0067c

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter only has one antenna terminal to connect an antenna wire to and any other model Wifi card would require two antenna wires.

So, the next thing I need you to do is to open up the PC and see if HP has a second antenna wire available, or just the one.

From what I can tell from the antenna part number is that there is only one wire you can use.

HP PartSurfer

So...if that is the case, this is the kit I recommend for you...

Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) Desktop Kit Intel AX200 M.2 2230 Dual Band Wifi Card BT5.1 Window | eBay

I tried to find the least expensive kit I could that has the right Wi-Fi card part number (L35282-005) for an Intel AX 200 Wi-Fi 6 card, non vPro.

An Intel Wi-Fi 6 card must be a non-vPro model--especially in a PC with an AMD processor and chipset.

First uninstall the Realtek wifi adapter and Realtek Bluetooth adapter in the device manager and check the uninstall driver box.

Once that is done, shut down and unplug the PC and replace the Wi-Fi card.

What you do is to disconnect the antenna wire, and carefully place it so that the metal connector makes no contact with any metal parts (I'd see if you can wrap it around some other wires and zip tie it).

Then you remove the Realtek Wi-Fi card from the M.2 slot, replace it with the Intel card and run the antenna wires, so they don't interfere with anything, out to the PCI mounting bracket and attach the external antennas that come with the kit.

Now, if by chance your PC does have two antenna wires (which I doubt), then you just need to buy the card.

L35282-005: Search Result | eBay

Windows has the drivers for the Intel AX 200 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, so you don't need any right away.

Then you can update to the latest Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers directly from the Intel site.

Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 and Windows 11*

Specs on the Intel AX200:

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul for your help. Would this kit work for my PC? https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wi-Fi-Gig-Desktop-AX200-NGWG-NV/dp/B085M7VPDP

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

That kit won't work. 

It indicates that it's a vPro card.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes, that kit includes the non vPro card.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much, Paul. Does that card work on 2.4 and 5.0 GHz?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.