Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
110-421na
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My desktop came with a built in Realtek  RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adaptor, recently my ISP provider increased my Internet speed to 75 Mbp. But on my Desktop the max I can get is around 54 Mbp.

After some research it seems that the 802.11 bgn can only bet set to 2.4 Ghz limiting the Wi-Fi to 54 Mbp.

Unfortunately my Desktop is to far away to connect an Ether Cable to my Router and my Router cannot be moved closed ot the desktop.

My question is can I bye an USB Wi-Fi adaptor which will increase my speed on the Desktop, if so which model do you recommend and will this interfere with the current 802.11 bgn, do I have to Disable it or Uninstall it ?

Any help would br greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, you are correct.

The RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter is a single band (2.4 Ghz) wifi card only.

You can install an external USB dual band N or AC wifi adapter and that will work fine.

After you install the USB wifi adapter, you can go to the windows taskbar, click on the wifi icon, on your current Realtek wifi connection,  click on Properties, turn off connect automatically when within range, and then disconnect from the Realtek wifi adapter.

Then connect to your new USB wifi adapter.

I think it depends where you live as to what model USB wifi adapters you can get.

Do a search and read the customer reviews.

I use this dual band N adapter.  Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter-AE3000/dp/B007ZLGXA8

But if you have an AC router, you may want to get a dual band AC adapter.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, you are correct.

The RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter is a single band (2.4 Ghz) wifi card only.

You can install an external USB dual band N or AC wifi adapter and that will work fine.

After you install the USB wifi adapter, you can go to the windows taskbar, click on the wifi icon, on your current Realtek wifi connection,  click on Properties, turn off connect automatically when within range, and then disconnect from the Realtek wifi adapter.

Then connect to your new USB wifi adapter.

I think it depends where you live as to what model USB wifi adapters you can get.

Do a search and read the customer reviews.

I use this dual band N adapter.  Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter-AE3000/dp/B007ZLGXA8

But if you have an AC router, you may want to get a dual band AC adapter.

HP Recommended
Paul thank you for your answer. I have just purchased a N type USB dual band adapter, plugged it in and I can now get 75Mbs internet speed. Thank you for your help it was great
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.