Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-410xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the Broadband wifi adapter that came installed on my PC. It is 2.4GHz only. I would like to upgrade it to dual band to get the most out of my TP-Link AC5400 router. What should I know before I buy a new wifi adapter? I'm not afraid to install a card in the computer. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, it will work just fine.

They are all notebook wifi cards used in most desktop PC's made in the last several years.

But your PC must have two antenna cables for any dual band wifi card to work.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Open up the PC, and check if there is one or two wireless antenna cables connected to the wifi card in there now.

Here is the service manual.  The wifi card should be lying flat on the motherboard with one or two thin and delicate antenna cables going to it.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02871896

The wifi card will look something like this...

If there are two, you can upgrade to this dual band AC wifi card...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 HP Part # 710661-001

The card is readily available on eBay or Amazon, and doesn't cost much at all.

Do your search by the HP part number, not by the model number of the wireless card.

HP Recommended

When I looked at this wifi adapter on Amazon, it said it is intended for use in a laptop. Should it also work in my Envy 700-410xt desktop? Thanks.

HP Recommended

Yes, it will work just fine.

They are all notebook wifi cards used in most desktop PC's made in the last several years.

But your PC must have two antenna cables for any dual band wifi card to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.