Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Why my hp desktop using high internet when I connected to wifi or other connections

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@GgbroZz

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your computer?
  • How much data is being used?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

model no. 260-a101I

3mb/s speed in intenet usage

No change. I just updated windows 10.

No troubleshooting changes....

Is there any function/settings  to be turned off for restricte background data usage? 

HP Recommended

@GgbroZz

Follow the below steps to restrict the apps to use the data in the background.

Then toggle off apps that use background data that you don’t need. In my case, it was pretty much all of those apps that are listed. When Windows Updates or new versions are installed, these settings might be reset, so, periodically check it to make sure.

Background apps

OneDrive was another part of Windows 10 I discovered sips data in the background. 

To disable OneDrive, right-click the Taskbar and click Task Manager or press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC.

Turn off Live Tiles

Feed-based apps such as News will retrieve the latest news and other information in the background. If you keep Live Tiles turned on. You don’t need to do this for every app, but for select apps like Mail, Twitter, Weather, and Facebook, you can keep it on. You can turn that off by right-clicking on the Tile and “Turn off live tile”.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already did the things that you said. 

But the computer still using mobile data.

😢 What can I do?

HP Recommended

@GgbroZz

You can put the computer on a metered connection and it should take care of the issue.

Here is how it is done.

1. Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Manage known networks.
  2. Select the Wi-Fi network > Properties > turn on Set as metered connection.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.