Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 23-d090ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I am trying to upgrade the Wi-Fi card in my all in one desktop so I can connect to 5ghz band. I have added and extra antenna as the original Ralink RT3590 only had one.

I have replaced with the Intel ac 7260 which installed correctly with drivers. Bluetooth works without any problems but I can’t connect to Wi-Fi.

I can connect on rebooting the system but the connection disconnects with 10 seconds and all available networks disappear.

The network adapter is showing as unidentified network. I have tried all troubleshooting to no avail.

I have installed the latest intel drivers and tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still have the same problems with connectivity.

I this card compatible with my pc?

Any help or troubleshooting steps would be much appreciated.

Please advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

There were some model PC's/notebook's where for some unknown reason, the Intel 7260 will show up but not work.

Probably has to do with a restriction in the BIOS short of completely not booting up.

I guess yours is one of them.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try the Broadcom equivalent.

I have seen in some instances where they have worked when the Intel 7260 did not.

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 724935-001.

You can probably find this card on eBay.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi adapter.

You can see this related discussion where a person has a HP notebook with an Intel 3rd gen core processor, installed the 7260 and it showed up but didn't work. 

The same Broadcom AC card I suggested did work.

Solved: Re: Cartes sans fil compatibles - HP Support Community - 7873856

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

There were some model PC's/notebook's where for some unknown reason, the Intel 7260 will show up but not work.

Probably has to do with a restriction in the BIOS short of completely not booting up.

I guess yours is one of them.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try the Broadcom equivalent.

I have seen in some instances where they have worked when the Intel 7260 did not.

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 724935-001.

You can probably find this card on eBay.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi adapter.

You can see this related discussion where a person has a HP notebook with an Intel 3rd gen core processor, installed the 7260 and it showed up but didn't work. 

The same Broadcom AC card I suggested did work.

Solved: Re: Cartes sans fil compatibles - HP Support Community - 7873856

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the information and suggestion.

I will try the Broadcom card recommended and report back.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Not a BIOS problem. If it is recognized by your system (therefore boots into Windows) it is either a driver problem or a slight hardware incompatibility.

The AC 7260 notoriously has issues with All-In Ones as well as older laptops with physical Wireless Switches. The generally accepted workaround is to tape some of the pins 20 and 51 on the wifi card. 

Pin Layout

I unfortunately have not had great success with this method, as I need a firmer tape. 

The 7260HMW AN is another good choice, but only has 802.11n. I have found that most older laptops don't utilize the full bandwidth of 802.11ac though, so you may be fine with this one.

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for providing a possible solution.

However, both the Bluetooth and Network adapter are recognised in device manager.

I have tried taping the pins without success.

The problem is the network adapter keeps on enabling/disabling and when I troubleshoot I get no valid ip configuration.

Also, I have tried different drivers from 17.0 upwards and no joy with any.

Sometimes I do get a temporary connection but looses connectivity with 10 seconds.

This leads me to believe there is a compatibility issue with the card.

I have tried the troubleshooting steps for no valid IP via cmd prompt but this doesn’t work either.

HP Recommended

The exact error:

Invalid IP configuration (106)

The network adapter does not have a bails IPHONE configuration 

HP Recommended

Hi

I have been looking for updates for my PC and whether the bios may be out of date and causing the problems with connectivity.

My current Bios is 8.15 on windows 10.

I can see there is a 8.16rev on HP's website for windows 8.1 and I believe there is also a 8.17 ver available.

Is it worth updating my Bios before installing the new wifi card?

Please advise.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I wouldn't recommend updating the BIOS to install the wifi card for two reasons...

1. You are running W10 and the BIOS update was written to be run on W8.1.

Updating the BIOS when running an unsupported operating system could irrevocably  wreck your PC.

2. Neither of the BIOS updates on your PC's support page add support for additional wifi adapters or any other hardware for that matter.

8.16:

Fixed in this release: 
- Improved the UEFI EDK2 security.
- Implemented and started to support the BIOS version of the rollback prevention
mechanism.

8.15:

Fixed in this release: - Adds Japanese language display support for HP Basic Diagnostics.
- Updates Intel processor microcode to resolve Intel VT Flex priority issue.
- Updates Intel Management Engine Firmware to v8.1.40.1416.

- Resolves Windows XP boot issue if BIOS Power-On (RTC) option enabled.

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

I am waiting for the new Broadcom card. Hopefully will be delivered this week.

Will keep you posted.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.