Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Phoenix Envy 810-330qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been having trouble with my WiFi for quite some time in where after it wakes up from sleep, it will have dropped the connection. This may sometimes occur randomly while awake, or it simply won't connect at all on startup. When it can't connect, one of two things happen when this occurs: Either it will show a list of all available wifi networks nearby EXCEPT the one I'm paired to. Or when I tell it to connect to my network manually, it will say it can't connect. When awake, it will still be connected, but will say it has a DNS error.

The fixes so far have been to either wait several minutes and it clears up on its own, to turn off the wifi adapter then back on, run network trouble shooting and it reconnects if my network is shown, or restart the computer. There seems to be no consistency with which fix relates to either symptom.

I suspect it may be related to my adapter, the Broadcom BCM 43142, because I just recently replaced my WiFi router after switching from renting the cable company's modem/router, and the same thing has occurred. I've seen other similar complaints for this device, but haven't been able to fix it. My drivers appear up-to-date according to Windows and HP Support Assistant.

Any ideas or known fixes for this? Thank you for any help.My current drivers:My current drivers:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yup, it was the chip. I upgraded it with one to fit into the PCI-EX slot and haven't had a problem. It even gave me a speed boost I never knew I needed. I installed an ASUS PCE-AC55BT, is AC1200 rated with Bluetooth. The internal antenna wires won't fit onto the chip though, so I tucked them away. Hopefully somebody else can use this info if they get a similar problem.

Here's where the old chip used to be, under the left fan, with the itty bitty wires: 

The WiFi/BT chip, under then fan, above the button battery.The WiFi/BT chip, under then fan, above the button battery.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Addition: It occured again last night where all other WiFi networks would show except the paired ones. We have an extender in the house, and I tried to connect to that, but it refused.

I haven't paid much attention to the Bluetooth, becuase I don't use it much, but it has been acting finicky. Sometimes it may lose connection or not connect at all to my earpiece. It has been posting an error recently about trying to update the driver,  but won't succeed.

Becuase both are in the same chip, I'm wondering if this is hardware failure.

Bluetooth errorBluetooth error

HP Recommended
I think I might have diagnosed this myself by now. I had upgraded my graphics card to a EVGA GTX 970 a couple years ago, and it sits right over the WiFi/ Bluetooth chip. The heat is probably blowing on it and been slowly cooking it. I may get another adapter to fit into the pci-ex slots instead.
HP Recommended

Yup, it was the chip. I upgraded it with one to fit into the PCI-EX slot and haven't had a problem. It even gave me a speed boost I never knew I needed. I installed an ASUS PCE-AC55BT, is AC1200 rated with Bluetooth. The internal antenna wires won't fit onto the chip though, so I tucked them away. Hopefully somebody else can use this info if they get a similar problem.

Here's where the old chip used to be, under the left fan, with the itty bitty wires: 

The WiFi/BT chip, under then fan, above the button battery.The WiFi/BT chip, under then fan, above the button battery.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.