Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer "set-up" shows "color" but pages which I try to print from the computer will only come out in black and  white.  There is plenty of color ink in the cartridge and pictures printed wirelessly from my tablet come out fine as do color copies made directly from the printer. Drives are up to date

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @Verogal1 - Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forums, I'd be happy to help you with your printer issue!

Going through your post, I understand that are facing issues while printing in color on your HP Envy printer. It looks like an issue with the print driver settings on your PC since the color is printing fine from the tablet. Try the steps below to try and fix the same:

1. Go to Control Panel – Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click on Envy 5540 and select “Printing Preferences”.
  3. Navigate to print quality / layout tab and make sure that the color printing option is selected.
  4. Save the settings and check for issue resolution.

If the issue persists, then I’d suggest to completely reinstall the drivers as suggested below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control Panel – Programs and Feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on http://hp.care/2q44L1f to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Going through your post, I understand that are facing issues while printing in color on your HP Envy printer. It looks like an issue with the print driver settings on your PC since the color is printing fine from the tablet. Try the steps below to try and fix the same:

3. Navigate to print quality / layout tab and make sure that the color printing option is selected.

If the issue persists, then I’d suggest to completely reinstall the drivers as suggested below:

• Go to Control Panel – Programs and Feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on http://hp.care/2q44L1f to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I found the solution on my own through the HP help pages and did indeed need to uninstall, download the latest software and reinstall the printer just as I now read, you have  suggested. It appears many others have been having the same problem. Perhaps this solution should be more widely available to HP owners. I spent far too much time trying many other methods before trying this as a last resort. 

@Dvortex wrote:

• Restart your computer.

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello, @Verogal1

Thanks for the update & Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue 🙂

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.