Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Running Windows 10   With 

HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-a114 

Adapter options allow full and smooth running for Wireless through a Comcast Arris Modem at speeds above 25 MPS 

HOWEVER- HP Pavilion Ethernet cable connect slows speeds down below 6 MPS-

Tried new and previous Ethernet cables 

When Start up using Ethernet cable connections the connection flashes ( on and off every second) or changes between 

cable connection ( lan direct ) and wireless - 

Diagnostic repeats that most current updated drivers are installed. 

HP support site suggest     * Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Driver upgrades for WIN 10 ---- 

What could be issue with current problem and what is the difference with the  Realtek PCIe  GBE   verses the current 

REALTEK PCIe FE  driver 

thanks ! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just as a follow up BH - Went today to best buy- Had some rewards points so I spoke to a Geek tech - They were so confused- They said it would not work.  Then I purchased a j5create Gig Ethernet & hub ( 3 port)  Used my rewards so it cost me $2.51 with the candy bar -  

Windows 10 compat  so no driver required. Hocked it up and speed tested it a 21 Upload and 52 Download-  

Thanks for the reply !    

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Its specs shows it has:

Technology: Realtek RTL8106E-CG

• Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100 Mb/s
  • Transmission standards: 100BASE-T Ethernet

Source:   http://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04755753

This is due to hardware limit. Driver won't fix it. Sometimes you can get over 6MB/s

I actually use the following adapter and get around 6-10 times that much:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Unibody-Aluminum-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00PC07T02

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for speedy response BH -  I'll take your knowledgable reply as validation of my multi - trips down  the dark spot at the end of the street with the limitations I bought.  SO - based on your suggestion below picking up the Anker adapter ( as suggested from Amazon below) my cable connections could gain speeds in excess of 50 MB   /s ?   If so , I'll jump on board this week and pick one up....  All things being equal and no other issues It would justify the purchase for cable speed-   

Thanks 

K 

HP Recommended

Just as a follow up BH - Went today to best buy- Had some rewards points so I spoke to a Geek tech - They were so confused- They said it would not work.  Then I purchased a j5create Gig Ethernet & hub ( 3 port)  Used my rewards so it cost me $2.51 with the candy bar -  

Windows 10 compat  so no driver required. Hocked it up and speed tested it a 21 Upload and 52 Download-  

Thanks for the reply !    

HP Recommended

Hi, I have a HP Pavilion Media Center Desktop PC I purchased in 2007. I just changed from Xfinity to Verizon Fios Internet service. The new router is 1000 (960) upload and download speed, but my Ethernet hard wire connection speed to my PC is only 100 (96) upload and download. So things are not working so well as I expected. It says I have a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller, IPV4 Connectivity, 100.0 Mbps speed. So clearly it is NOT capable of 1000 Mbps (1 Gigabit) speed as is. Everything works fine with PC, over the 12 years. I have updated Windows 10.  Is my PC capable of being upgraded, by new installed card or by external hard wired adapter, to 1000 upload and download speed to match the new Verizon Fios Router?  Or close to 1000, i.e. 960, or at least significantly more than the current 100 (96)?  Or am I out of luck?  IF I can, what product should I purchase?  Thank You. In Boston, USA.

HP Recommended

@aspenrebel

To assist you better I will need the complete computer model or the product number

You can refer to this Link: hp.care/2bygf7l for help in locating the Product Number.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.