Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6962
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am experiencing a perplexing print failure. After having no success with the Microsoft community, it has been suggested that I consult with you.

After upgrading to .NET framework 4.6.2, all printing functions fail. There are zero documents in the queue from any application (Word, Quicken, Acrobat, Finale, etc.). The printer is online and ready, but never receives anything.

I have:

• rebooted the computer to ensure completed installation;
  • verified installation of .NET framework 4.6.2;
  • cleared the print spool;
  • re-booted the router;
  • consulted the knowledge base;
  • used all Microsoft and HP diagnostics (e.g., Scan Doctor 4.9);
  • run the .NET framework repair tool;
    (According to Services.msc, .NET framework 4.0 is set for Automatic (Delayed Start), and the print spooler is running.)
  • run both Scannow /F and CHKDSK (which did repair a few things).

I have tried three printers while observing the "What's printing" box. With all three printers, the box shows the document being sent to the printer.

• The HP 4630 failed to print, both wired and wireless. (I have uninstalled and re-installed with latest drivers from the HP website.)
  • The HP F380 (wired) did print just fine (new install). The same USB cable and port were used for both wired tests.
  • The HP 6962 (wireless) failed to print (new machine, new install).

The print dialogue box shows the printer (whichever one) is online and ready. The document is going out and then cleared. But in three of the four tests, it does not print; it simply disappears from the queue as though it had. I can print on the 4630 from other computers in the network. I can scan documents from the printers into the computer, but cannot send anything from the computer to the printer.

Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Dismay_61,

Thanks for replying. I really appreciate the effort in trying to get the issue fixed.

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

Let's try these steps:

Press Windows Key + R for Run Command – Type spool – Open the Printers folder – Press Ctrl + A to select all the files and then hit Delete Key

Press Windows Key + R for Run Command – Type spool – Right on Printers folder – From the drop down click on Properties – Click on Security Tab – Click on Edit under Group or user names – One by one give permissions for all – Click on Apply and then OK.

Launch Control panel - Hardware and Sound - Device and Printers - Right click on the Printer - From the drop down click on Printer Properties - Click on Security tab - Click on Edit under Group or user names – One by one give permissions for all – Click on Apply and then OK.

Restart the PC and then try to print. 

Let me know how it goes. I'll be happy to help you with your concern.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Dismay_61,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I Understand you are having printing issues on your HP Printer and you have tried all possible troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. I'll try my best to help you with this.

Don't worry, we'll take care of this together 😉

Let's try to perform a firmware update on your printer, using this link.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you try to follow the step 3, 4 and 5 from this support document which should help to resolve the issue: Here is the link.

Here's a related post on HP Forums which has helped other users, click here.

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be happy to help you with your concern.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unable to update firmware because a newer version is already installed (according to the error message).

Have re-installed drivers twice. No change in final result.

Have consulted remaining document and changed security settings. No change in final result.

Next?

HP Recommended

@Dismay_61

Thanks for the super quick reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.Kudos to you.

Here I recommend you to Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver .

It should take care of your printer concern.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I replaced the driver from the HP website with the built-in Windows 7 driver, and asked to print a test page. Worse luck. I monitored the process with "What's Printing." Nothing ever went out. I then tried a test document with Word, with the earlier results: the window shows the document going to the spooler and is cleared from the queue, but nothing prints.

Next?

HP Recommended

Hi @Dismay_61,

Thanks for replying. I really appreciate the effort in trying to get the issue fixed.

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

Let's try these steps:

Press Windows Key + R for Run Command – Type spool – Open the Printers folder – Press Ctrl + A to select all the files and then hit Delete Key

Press Windows Key + R for Run Command – Type spool – Right on Printers folder – From the drop down click on Properties – Click on Security Tab – Click on Edit under Group or user names – One by one give permissions for all – Click on Apply and then OK.

Launch Control panel - Hardware and Sound - Device and Printers - Right click on the Printer - From the drop down click on Printer Properties - Click on Security tab - Click on Edit under Group or user names – One by one give permissions for all – Click on Apply and then OK.

Restart the PC and then try to print. 

Let me know how it goes. I'll be happy to help you with your concern.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Could not find the "Accept as Solution" button anywhere on the page, but I can now print from at least one printer. Will try this process with the other printers, though this is remarkably similar to a change made earlier with no effect.

Thanks for helping.

HP Recommended

We have an Apple Mac, late 2012 model.  The operating system is macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6

Your previous solution was for a Microsoft PC.  Can you send instructions for this Apple operating system?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello @JJQuilter

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.